Skinny penny found last year detecting TotLot

~Audiz~

Nov 9, 2008
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250...Garrett Pro-pointer... "The secret of vast riches begins with a single penny"
Just got around to taking the picture.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:dontknow: This penny I found last year in one of the play grounds I search at. I first thought it was play money but it's not plastic. It is the same size as the penny but minus the rim, it weighs 1.6grams. I looked last night on-line and found a few of them, this one does not look like it was in acid it actually has the same texture as a regular penny and it's not the size of a dime. I wonder if it's an error? I also thought that some one was doing a copper rubbing, it has the image of the memorial on the reverse side.

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad had a country store back in the 60's and 70's, boys would grind the rim off a penny and the old soda machines would take them as dimes.
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

OP
OP
~Audiz~

~Audiz~

Nov 9, 2008
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250...Garrett Pro-pointer... "The secret of vast riches begins with a single penny"
Gator-Flea said:
My Dad had a country store back in the 60's and 70's, boys would grind the rim off a penny and the old soda machines would take them as dimes.
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Hi Gator,
Interesting I never heard of that being done, I can see the rim being ground off but the thickness is :dontknow: what gets me. Kids will do the strangest things.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gator, I did that too!! I remember setting on the curb and grinding pennies, man, that was fun! We could have just popped the top off and put a straw in the bottle, but that wouldnt have been as cool.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I don't know what was done to the coin but I have one just like it. Almost paper thin yet has all of the detail. Someone once suggested acid but I think that would change the detail?

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
Could be struck on a foreign planchet or dime planchet that would make it an error coin. The only way to know for sure would be to pay to have it graded and find out if it is an error or not. I think that the idea of it being ground down could be the answer but if does not make sense that the coin is so thin. Foreign Plancet from a different countries money getting into the penny machine makes sense because I have heard they do mint other countries money at out mints sometimes.

Kris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread