What should I collect?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Easiest and cheapest would be a Kennedy Half Dollar date and mintmark set. Not including errors, this set can be completed with a modest budget. Your most expensive coins will be the silver issues. You can even just complete the set with circulated strikes omitting proofs.

If you want silver, then just do a silver Roosevelt collection. It is a short set.

The shortest and cheapest set would be a Susan B. Anthony set. You can easily get all varieties on a limited budget.

S

stefen

Why not start a multi-collection of Pennies, Nickles and Dimes...

Cost is relatively low and choices are unlimited...

As you learn about each type of coinage, you can expand into other coin-types as you get older.

Buy what you can afford but always buy the best...

Stay away from buying rolled coins or what are called 'LOTS'...you can spend a lot of money and end up with coins that are otherwise hard to resell...instead buy one good coin instead of 50 bad ones...

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Im 17, and i just recently started metal detecting, but also got back into coin collecting. one that i enjoyed was the dimes... i wanted to collect EVERY dme issued, types, not every date. so i went out and found deals on the dimes, and just finished it up today, cost about $35, and have about all the silver to back up the collection as well.. doesnt have to be GREAT condition coins, because of coarse the capped bust is gonna HAVE to be good, perhaps very good condition unless you want to spend hundreds. look on ebay, go to local coin shops.. sometimes they are nicce to us kids just starting out =] have a fun time, and always buy a coin that interests YOU!

Tamu15whoop

Greenie
Apr 10, 2011
Im 18 and I have been working in a coin shop since I was 15 and I always tell people collect something they like. Ill buy almost anything if I think its neat but I especially like dollars. I started out with wheat cents, the second book can be filled pretty easily. The best coin investment is knowledge, read as much as you can and make friends at a local coin shop, thats how I wound up with the best job in the world! Great to see younger collectors!

mightyzep

Dec 5, 2007
The first set I had complete was the Mercury dimes. Well, I didn't get the 16D but I got all the rest and have a full book of mercs. I like every coin which is the one before you see in circulation now. I like the Indian Head penny, the buffalo nickel, the mercury head dime, the standing liberty quarter and the franklin half. The walker half is awesome too. I like the Peace dollars and the Morgan dollars.

Somehow I don't find that much fun in collecting the silver washington quarters or silver roosevelt dimes, which look just like the current coins. Most of the barber coins I don't like. They always seem pretty worn out.

A really fun and inexpensive way to collect is to get the 20th century type set book. One of each type of coin. Then you could look at them all and see if one is calling for you to collect them all!

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High grade Sacagawea collections are good to complete on a budget, as is the Presidential Dollars. You can often get Presidential Dollars for face value.

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Franklin Half Dollars aren't rare and are worth silver weight. 1948-1963. @ 12 bucks apiece you can have a whole set relatively quickly and you won't lose much money.(That is if you decide to sell them, If silver goes up you just made money!) Just my opinion.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diver_Down said:
The shortest and cheapest set would be a Susan B. Anthony set. You can easily get all varieties on a limited budget.

Hurry, supplies are limited and going Fast! You could probably get two or three sets of the circulated coins in a roll of SBA dollars.

yyznick

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just do something easy like Jefferson Nickels, should go relatively quick aside from the 50D

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a really easy way of putting a set together, go to the bank, give them a $50 dollar bill, and say I want it in either pennies, nickels, dimes, or quarters. Usually the bank teller will give the rolls to you without a question. This is called coin roll hunting. You loof through rolls of coins to find coins you like. You can get old and unique coins at face value! A few dates you may have to buy, especially if you want to collect silver, but if you keep doing it, you can nearly get an entire set. Just last week, I got $1.50 in pennies at the bank and found a nice 1916 wheat penny in it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can still do a complete set of Peace Dollars relatively cheaply - compared to any other silver coin that is. That's the only complete series I have. Of the 24 coins only the 1928 is going to be a killer slot to fill. The impossible to find and illegal to own 1964 "remint" excluded.

Makes a beautiful collection, to boot.

1921_silver_peace_dollar.jpg

Aaronscicli

Greenie
Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
my personal favorite is wheats. im 15 too btw. i mostly just look through penny boxes and take out wheats and copper. then i sell the copper and buy more wheats :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread