Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Feb 2010
    Formerly NH now East Tennessee
    Garrett GtaX1250
    1638 times

Cleaning tape residue from a coin

I know I know.. don't clean coins. With that said, I have a common date Peace dollar I recently bought from a friend that has a good amount of scotch tape residue on it from some moron having it taped in a book. It left an ugly sticky X pattern across the face of the coin and removing that would surely be better than leaving it. Soaking in dish soap & water for a few days hasn't touched it. I'd rather not use anything abrasive & scratch it. Any suggestions ?
    Live Free or Die

us
    Aug 2007
    Topsham, Vermont
    Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
    220 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Re: Cleaning tape residue from a coin

I have removed sticky stuff from coins using acetone ( finger nail polish remover ) Be gentle with a Q tip.

VPR

us
    Nov 2009
    Evans Colorado
    AT Pro
    96 times

I know WD40 works on tape stuff don't think it would hurt the coin

us
    Apr 2009
    Central Florida mountains
    1 times

I would use 91% alcohol and a Q tip. Acetone will work but you will have to be careful not to have the cleaned area look different from the rest of the coin. WD-40 will leave a film that you will have to clean off as well. Try the 91% alcohol (not 70%) it should work with no worries about hurting the coins surface.

us
    Mr. FreedomUIC to you!

Jan 2010
    NUNYA
    376 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Go to walmart, Get some sterling silver cleaner (Dip Method). Immerse the coin for 10 seconds, take out rinse and pat dry
    between two towels. DO NOT RUB THE COIN, just press down between the two towels.

Tape should be gone and coin will sparkle.
    [R.I.P. Rich Hartford - Champion CRH of All Time]

Dec 2006
    97 times

Acetone is the tried and true way to safely remove most glue, oils etc. Silver dip is a bad idea, it will also remove the toning.

us
    Nov 2009
    Evans Colorado
    AT Pro
    96 times

ok don't bother with the WD40 lol

us
    Apr 2009
    Central Florida mountains
    1 times

The silver dip will definitely affect the coins surface. So will Acetone. Try the alcohol first. If it doesn't work you can always step up to acetone. Make sure you get pure acetone from the hardware store. Don't use finger nail polish remover. Give it a quick dip (prolonged dipping will affect the coins surface) then a dunking in distilled water to stop the acetone.

us
    Feb 2010
    Formerly NH now East Tennessee
    Garrett GtaX1250
    1638 times

Thanks guys. It's an average circulated condition 1926-S Peace dollar. Not worth much more than scrap value but since it's going into my album I don't want it to look cleaned.
    Live Free or Die

Taping coins! A few years back I bought a coin for $800 and the freakin guy taped it! Who (other than him) has that little sense for something that cost that much! I should also mention it was a billon coin and the silver can lift off the surface similar to plating.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    549 times

Quote Originally Posted by l.cutler
    Acetone is the tried and true way to safely remove most glue, oils etc. Silver dip is a bad idea, it will also remove the toning.
    I agree. Acetone will take the glue off and won't touch the silver toning.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Mr. FreedomUIC to you!

Jan 2010
    NUNYA
    376 times

Quote Originally Posted by Rooter
    The silver dip will definitely affect the coins surface. So will Acetone. Try the alcohol first. If it doesn't work you can always step up to acetone. Make sure you get pure acetone from the hardware store. Don't use finger nail polish remover. Give it a quick dip (prolonged dipping will affect the coins surface) then a dunking in distilled water to stop the acetone.
    I have used both acetone and the Sterling Silver Dip from Walmart. Acetone works well. The cleaner I am referring to at Walmart is
    not the paste and brush, it is a jar of liquid with a dip tray. You dip the coin for 10 Seconds, rinse for 10 - 15 seconds than place
    between two towels and press dry, never rub. It has never ruined any surface on any coin that I have had to clean to place in an
    album. I have cleaned probably 10 coins, 2 with acetone and 8 with the dip. The dip by far does a better job of cleaning silver based
    coins and does not harm their surface if used correctly.

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    880 times

Peanut butter removes tape and sticker residue...imagine what it does to your system too
    The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

Dec 2006
    97 times

If the silver dip removes the toning and the coins come out shiny, then the surfaces are damaged.

us
    Mr. FreedomUIC to you!

Jan 2010
    NUNYA
    376 times

Quote Originally Posted by l.cutler
    If the silver dip removes the toning and the coins come out shiny, then the surfaces are damaged.
    If a coin is "Toned" then by all means use acetone (or peanut butter ), if there is no
    toning you can't beat the Sterling Silver Dip method.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors