Cleaning tape residue from a coin

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I know I know.. don't clean coins. With that said, I have a common date Peace dollar I recently bought from a friend that has a good amount of scotch tape residue on it from some moron having it taped in a book. It left an ugly sticky X pattern across the face of the coin and removing that would surely be better than leaving it. Soaking in dish soap & water for a few days hasn't touched it. I'd rather not use anything abrasive & scratch it. Any suggestions ?

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
I would use 91% alcohol and a Q tip. Acetone will work but you will have to be careful not to have the cleaned area look different from the rest of the coin. WD-40 will leave a film that you will have to clean off as well. Try the 91% alcohol (not 70%) it should work with no worries about hurting the coins surface.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to walmart, Get some sterling silver cleaner (Dip Method). Immerse the coin for 10 seconds, take out rinse and pat dry
between two towels. DO NOT RUB THE COIN, just press down between the two towels.

Tape should be gone and coin will sparkle.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acetone is the tried and true way to safely remove most glue, oils etc. Silver dip is a bad idea, it will also remove the toning.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
The silver dip will definitely affect the coins surface. So will Acetone. Try the alcohol first. If it doesn't work you can always step up to acetone. Make sure you get pure acetone from the hardware store. Don't use finger nail polish remover. Give it a quick dip (prolonged dipping will affect the coins surface) then a dunking in distilled water to stop the acetone.

OP
OP
NHBandit

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Thanks guys. It's an average circulated condition 1926-S Peace dollar. Not worth much more than scrap value but since it's going into my album I don't want it to look cleaned.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taping coins! :BangHead: A few years back I bought a coin for $800 and the freakin guy taped it! Who (other than him) has that little sense for something that cost that much! I should also mention it was a billon coin and the silver can lift off the surface similar to plating.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:
Acetone is the tried and true way to safely remove most glue, oils etc. Silver dip is a bad idea, it will also remove the toning.

I agree. Acetone will take the glue off and won't touch the silver toning.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rooter said:
The silver dip will definitely affect the coins surface. So will Acetone. Try the alcohol first. If it doesn't work you can always step up to acetone. Make sure you get pure acetone from the hardware store. Don't use finger nail polish remover. Give it a quick dip (prolonged dipping will affect the coins surface) then a dunking in distilled water to stop the acetone.

I have used both acetone and the Sterling Silver Dip from Walmart. Acetone works well. The cleaner I am referring to at Walmart is
not the paste and brush, it is a jar of liquid with a dip tray. You dip the coin for 10 Seconds, rinse for 10 - 15 seconds than place
between two towels and press dry, never rub. It has never ruined any surface on any coin that I have had to clean to place in an
album. I have cleaned probably 10 coins, 2 with acetone and 8 with the dip. The dip by far does a better job of cleaning silver based
coins and does not harm their surface if used correctly.

S

stefen

Peanut butter removes tape and sticker residue...imagine what it does to your system too :thumbsup:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the silver dip removes the toning and the coins come out shiny, then the surfaces are damaged.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:
If the silver dip removes the toning and the coins come out shiny, then the surfaces are damaged.

If a coin is "Toned" then by all means use acetone (or peanut butter :laughing7:), if there is no
toning you can't beat the Sterling Silver Dip method.

jrc79inNC

Sep 26, 2010
Bayern, Deutschland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest using a toothpick carefully and see if it comes off. Otherwise, I would suggest zippo lighter fluid used carefully to loosen the tape residue.

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
jrc79inNC said:
I would suggest using a toothpick carefully and see if it comes off. Otherwise, I would suggest zippo lighter fluid used carefully to loosen the tape residue.
The liquid lighter fluids do remove tape residue, even those ugly stickers that self destruct when you try to take them off of merchandise. Not sure how they would react with the silver if at all. Can't see any effect on the polycarbonate plastics, but haven't tried silver.

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
Acetone is the best method. Be careful and make sure you do not get it on your skin and use a glass dish. The acetone will eat thru plastic. Kris

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
What method would be suggested to remove small unknown black particles stuck to an otherwise MS-65+ Buffalo Nickel?

tdec1000

Jul 1, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 550 w/ 4" coil and Garrett Ace 250
l.cutler said:

Acetone is the only way to remove dirt and contaminants along with tape residue. DON'T use anyother idea posted here. Alchohol will burn your coins and WD40 will ruin it forever.

Fingernail polish remover will work but also has other contaminants in it that over time will damage the coin. Make sure you rinse in distilled h20 or some fresh acetone at the end and air dry and dont rub but pat with a soft dish towel.

Cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread