Extreme Off Center errors, where do they come from?

snazzypit

Aug 2, 2010
North Jersey
I see many way off center Coins on ebay, that extend over the planchet . How do these coin make out of the mint. The obviously do not fit in rolls, and all i am seeing on the Mint website are bags of state and America quarters. Where do you get nickel, dime, penny, bags? Am i missing somethign on the mint website. Do some banks get these bags instead of rolls. Thanks for the help

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Still wonder the same thing
on Extreme off center coins.

Personally I'd be Weary of their being real.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until a few years ago, the mint used to ship coin to the federal reserve in "normal" bags. For example a 50.00 bag of cents, 200.00 bag of nickels, 1,000.00 bag of dimes/quarters/half dollars. In those days you could even go to a federal reserve branch where they had a public cashier and buy bags of newly minted coins. This was a great source of error coins.

Although they tried to catch errors before they were bagged, the sheer volume of coin being minted meant that some would slip through. Also, human nature being what it is, there have always been reports of mint and/or federal reserve employees smuggling extreme error coins out of the facility and selling them at a profit.

OP
OP
snazzypit

snazzypit

Aug 2, 2010
North Jersey
thanks waseeker. So sounds lieke as far as you know there is no way t purchase these types of bags anymore, well accept for quarters and half that they sell on the mint website. that would explain why you do not see the the last few years of coins with these types of errors.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snazzypit said:
thanks waseeker. So sounds lieke as far as you know there is no way t purchase these types of bags anymore, well accept for quarters and half that they sell on the mint website. that would explain why you do not see the the last few years of coins with these types of errors.

Some time back (my memory isn't too good anymore) the mint started shipping the coins in much bigger bags. I don't remember the exact size, but it takes a fork lift to move even one of them. I don't think the federal reserve has public cashiers these days, but I don't live near one now, so can't say for sure.

the neatest thing I got was from the Atlanta branch back in 1995 or 1996. I got a bunch of half dollars with die cracks in various stages from just beginning, to reaching all the way from the neck to the rim.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I often wondered the same thing. I do know that you can't get coins directly from the federal reserve because I called them. Back in 2002, I called the San Francisco Fed Reserve and asked them how I could get new half dollars because 2001-D's were selling for $40/roll on Feebay. Now they are not. Long story short is that they told me only banks can order from them so I want coins, I have to go through my bank. They do have tons of uncirculated coins that sit around in bags. If bank storage facilities run low on coins, they order from the federal reserve and they break out the bags, get them sent to the bank storage facilities etc. to be rolled.

jrc79inNC

Sep 26, 2010
Bayern, Deutschland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my personal opinion one of the many handful of reasons I dislike finding anything on E-Bay. I see lots of people assume that they see a price on something as its set value (when either the bidders or the sellers probably end up overpricing it over either acquiring something wanted bad enough or somebody having some slight form of greed). Not to mention the vast quantity of modern fakes that apparently originate from China, and when reported E Bay wants to do very little if anything about it. Caveat Emptor (May The Buyer Beware).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread