63.1 KB · Views: 330
  • Tails.jpg
    Tails.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 329

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is a magician's coin. You can note the seam near the rim. Banging the coin will reveal the inside. Sometimes, they come apart easy (drop on the counter/floor). Other times, you need to be more persuasive. I've used large thick-sided mason jars. Drop the coin in and shake vigorously. It will come apart. Be sure to use a thick jar. Don't just use a glass. The coin will break the glass otherwise.

OP
OP
MtnBluBrd

MtnBluBrd

Oct 12, 2010
ID - UT - TX
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Diver_Down said:
It is a magician's coin. You can note the seam near the rim. Banging the coin will reveal the inside. Sometimes, they come apart easy (drop on the counter/floor). Other times, you need to be more persuasive. I've used large thick-sided mason jars. Drop the coin in and shake vigorously. It will come apart. Be sure to use a thick jar. Don't just use a glass. The coin will break the glass otherwise.

Ah! Right you are. It looked so real but I just got it to bust apart and its a mexican coin on the inside. I guess its more fun than just a regular half dollar anyway - my husband is practicing up on the trick now :laughing7:. That would have probably cost more than 50cents at a trick shop so ill think of it as a good deal.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Call, Diver! :thumbsup:
If it was the real deal, a misaligned die, it would fetch plenty!

Best,
Scott

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
MtnBluBrd said:
Diver_Down said:

Ah! Right you are. It looked so real but I just got it to bust apart and its a mexican coin on the inside. I guess its more fun than just a regular half dollar anyway - my husband is practicing up on the trick now :laughing7:. That would have probably cost more than 50cents at a trick shop so ill think of it as a good deal.

Hold on to it. In the CRH'ing group, there is a guy who buys them every few months from members. Some magician coins will have a British penny on the inside.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 40+ years I've been keepin' my eye on coins and such, I've never seen a "magicians coin."
I'd kinda like to buy one if any one has one they want to sell....

Best,
Scott

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
AU24K said:
In the 40+ years I've been keepin' my eye on coins and such, I've never seen a "magicians coin."
I'd kinda like to buy one if any one has one they want to sell....

Best,
Scott

AU24k, don't you frequent the CRH'ing group here on TNet? If you search Brinks boxes, you will find them. I average about a dozen a year. I've sold all mine the last time around. If I find one before you, I'll PM you.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
AU24k, don't you frequent the CRH'ing group here on TNet? If you search Brinks boxes, you will find them. I average about a dozen a year. I've sold all mine the last time around. If I find one before you, I'll PM you.

I've posted in the CRH forum but don't remember seeing many found, two or three maybe.
Found only in Brinks boxes? My bank uses Gardall.

Best,
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread