Whats the best way to determine coins state..G, VG, MS etc.

S

Sand Digger

I have a chart on what these symbols in coin value mean but what is the best source of info to learn how to determine which state they actually are in. My dad's old coin collection has hundreds of barber dimes, mercs, wheaties buffalo's etc but I'm more than sure it would take someone months to look over the coins(too pricey). Is there a book you would suggest that really can teach someone how to determine what state the coins are really in. ALSO...when it comes to selling coins what seems to be the average of what you get from what they are worth in magazines list. In other words if a dime is worth A. and you sell it should you expect half of A. one third of A. exact price of A. etc?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sandpiper:
The Red Book (any coin or book store will have it) is the first book you may wish to consider; it has the greatest popularity. Coin World also has a great section in their periodical called COINValues wherein they feature one coin in each issue and give you great pics and text about the various grading of coinage. They blow each coin up to about silver dollar size to show you the subtle differences.
Enjoy,
Don....

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This book shows examples of each US coin for each grade.

Attachments

• 051406.jpg
    051406.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 187

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I would also recommend Photograde. Another good choice would be The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins.

In some cases line drawings may actually be more helpful than photos. For these, older editions (e.g., 2nd Ed.) of the ANA book would be fine, as would the "granddaddy" of U.S. coin grading books, A Guide to the Grading of United States Coins by Brown & Dunn. Copies of these can be found via http://used.addall.com/ or http://www.bookfinder.com/

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
The Anacs book or the CoinWorld guide is more updated as the Photograde system of grading has been somewhat dated by all the more recent descriptions used to discern one grade frm another used by the major third party graders.
Have Fun,
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread