Qsemiside.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 2,555

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
it may be a fake, because they make coins with stamped blanks, from a rollof metal that goes through presses to make it the exact thickness they need

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a dime but with smaller bulges, one on front one one back. The lettering is somewhat off but readable.When I dug it I thought it had been shot by a BB gun. :help:

S

Smee

jrandy said:
I have a dime but with smaller bulges, one on front one one back. The lettering is somewhat off but readable.When I dug it I thought it had been shot by a BB gun. :help:

There is not a coin that goes through my house that does not get the once over with the jeweler's loupe by my wife.

We don't have any quarters like that, but we have over a dozen Roosevelt Dimes of the clad variety with the bumps in various locations. There is a name for it, but can't recall what it is.

S

Smee

MtnBluBrd said:
My Husband got this quarter in some change. It is a 1995D. There is a bulge on the heads side. The tails side has nothing peculiar- it is completely normal with no indention :icon_scratch:. Its dirty but the entire strike is present on both sides. Any ideas on this?….

It's so easy to say "fire damage" without reading the entire post --- but if you folks had read it, the reverse side is apparently in tact.

MtnBluBrd, please post the reverse side of the coin so that there is no mistaking that the coin is otherwise intact except for the bump.

Lots of folks come to tnet just to be critical, and many times we need folks to be critical . . . but in this case I think if you can show them the reverse without any damage it might help them to understand that these things do happen WITHOUT a fire being involved. It is due to an imperfection in the metal struck.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even with a defect in the metal, what would cause the surface to "lift" or bubble without heat?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
l.cutler said:
Even with a defect in the metal, what would cause the surface to "lift" or bubble without heat?

A fault in the planchette will do this.
more often faults are noted as incomplete clads or peeling.
there could be an air bubble in the blank or planchette when the coin was struck.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smee said:
MtnBluBrd said:
My Husband got this quarter in some change. It is a 1995D. There is a bulge on the heads side. The tails side has nothing peculiar- it is completely normal with no indention :icon_scratch:. Its dirty but the entire strike is present on both sides. Any ideas on this?….

It's so easy to say "fire damage" without reading the entire post --- but if you folks had read it, the reverse side is apparently in tact.

MtnBluBrd, please post the reverse side of the coin so that there is no mistaking that the coin is otherwise intact except for the bump.

Lots of folks come to tnet just to be critical, and many times we need folks to be critical . . . but in this case I think if you can show them the reverse without any damage it might help them to understand that these things do happen WITHOUT a fire being involved. It is due to an imperfection in the metal struck.

In fact I had read the entire post before responding.

The U.S. quarter is comprised of a layer of pure copper sandwiched between two layers of a composition of nickel and copper. When these coins are exposed to extreme heat the copper core will start to melt and can cause bubbles to form. Copper melts around 700 degrees fahrenheit less than nickel, so the outer layers will stay intact far longer than the core. These bubbles will develop on the surface of the coin that has the least resistance, hence the bubble only appearing on the obverse of this coin. Personal experience with fire has backed up the science involved.

This coin, when viewing the available photos, appears to have had a good strike at the Mint. If the damage was due to an imperfection in the coin blank the image could not be struck on the coin as shown. Refer to the portrait of Washington and the motto that he faces.

S

Smee

It was my mistake. In my dyslexic little brain, I reversed the "95" to "59" and was thinking it was a silver quarter.

And your statement above is 100% correct.

OP
OP
MtnBluBrd

MtnBluBrd

Oct 12, 2010
ID - UT - TX
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thanks everybody for mulling this over. I appreciate everyones input and am impressed at how quickly answers come. All I know is that it was an unusual quarter to get and, after reading responses, fire damage does make sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread