Hanging Date

S

Smee

This coin is peculiar because the 9 and the 5 are hanging on "pins".

The mind is not as sharp as it used to be, so it is driving me crazy trying to remember what it is called. I do remember the mint had a reason for doing these coins with the pins, but I don't remember what it was.

I have several of these with different dates. Some with one pin as well.

Pardon the drawing, it was the best I could do.

pinned_penny.jpg

Attachments

• pinned_penny.jpg
    pinned_penny.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 311
  • pinned_penny.jpg
    pinned_penny.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 332
OP
OP
S

Smee

C'mon folks! No one has ever seen one of these before? I have several . . . and actually know why the pins are there.

You folks who like to insult others to show how "smart" you are, let's hear what's going on here.

No, it isn't a "damaged coin". According to "Coin World" (a magazine for coin dealers) the pins have a purpose. Anyone know what it is?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smee said:
You folks who like to insult others to show how "smart" you are, let's hear what's going on here.

Gee I wonder why there could ever be a lack of replies. :icon_scratch:

You're putting down the same people you want help from! DUH!

OP
OP
S

Smee

Nah, they're not slamming folks --- which means my challenge isn't slamming them.

They already know everything . . . and as I said, I know why it was done. C'mon, be real. There are a few "know it alls" on every forum, but there are some here who seem to live for insulting others.

So, I'm giving them a chance to prove they're as smart ass (typo or freudian slip :dontknow:) as they say they are.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smee said:
Nah, they're not slamming folks --- which means my challenge isn't slamming them.

They already know everything . . . and as I said, I know why it was done. C'mon, be real. There are a few "know it alls" on every forum, but there are some here who seem to live for insulting others.

So, I'm giving them a chance to prove they're as smart ass (typo or freudian slip :dontknow:) as they say they are.

But if any of those people replied with the answer you'd just call them a know-it-all. :laughing7: It's a heads I win, tails you lose, post.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Why do I feel like I'm taking the "bait" ? Anyway.. They are called cuds. They are NOT done this way on purpose and they are not rare. It's simply an error caused by a small gouge in the stamping die. If you have proof that this was done on purpose then please stop playing silly games and prove it. Here is an example on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Lincoln-Cent-Er...94?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item53e49bb8c2 Here is another http://cgi.ebay.com/ERROR-LINCOLN-C...33?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item35a871c72d I've been a fairly serious coin collector for about 40 years and the mint has never done anything like you describe on purpose to the best of my knowlege. If you have real concrete evidence to prove me wrong I apologise in advance. I sure don't want to come across as a "know it all" Either way happy hunting and have a good day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions