Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all i finally tried my luck on a E-Bay auction for a Morgan Dollar 1878 S first year issue , the seller graded this MS65 Gem Un-circulated this guy has 100,s of Morgans for sale some really nice coins i was very surprised that i was the only one who bid on this coin with over 2 days left on the bidding , i think i did well i cant see a mark on it the tone is gorgeous . I have purchased Morgans before but never bid at auction until now that seemed easy enough :laughing7: the opening bid was 68.00 i bid 69.00 and got it , any opinions is welcome .Ill post the sellers pictures and my photos .Thanks for any insight Jim

Attachments

• 1878 S Morgan .JPG
    1878 S Morgan .JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 739
  • 1878 S Morgan .JPG
    1878 S Morgan .JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 722
  • 1878 S MS65 Uncircl.JPG
    1878 S MS65 Uncircl.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 710

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
creeper71 said:
If this guy had hundreds of morgans then I think he would be suspect for selling chinese counterfeit coins... That is just my opinion......

If they are bogus, the "errors" should be in the same areas on different coins. Take the weak TY in liberty, and see if other coins have similar problems.

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is real deal the seller is a Top Rated seller with 100% feedback he has been selling on E-Bay since 1997 from Morristown Pa. he owns a coin shop , i checked the coin it has a Diameter: 38.1 millimeters Weight: 26.73 grams exactly . i was more interested in the grade i did check other Morgans mine is the only one i can see with a few weak letters in the word Liberty :thumbsup: Jim

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
This is real deal the seller is a Top Rated seller with 100% feedback he has been selling on E-Bay since 1997 from Morristown Pa. he owns a coin shop , i checked the coin it has a Diameter: 38.1 millimeters Weight: 26.73 grams exactly . i was more interested in the grade i did check other Morgans mine is the only one i can see with a few weak letters in the word Liberty :thumbsup: Jim

Give it the magnet test, if it sticks there is a problem. I have one almost identical to yours, no toning, blast white. It was graded MS64 by NGC. I think 65 is two grades to high, although what you paid
is right inline for an MS63 for that year. When buying on EBay, always be aware of two things. 1) High starting bid and nobody else bidding on them. That should raise a warning flag.

On the plus side, it is a beautiful coin you got at a fair price..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the real deal to me Jim. A good piece too add to your collection. Happy holidays Buddy. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Looks like the real deal to me Jim. A good piece too add to your collection. Happy holidays Buddy. :thumbsup:
Thanks Jesse just another hobby while the ground freezes ill be back swinging in a few months but who knows i might get another hunt in this year Good Holidays to you to Jim

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinkid said:
There's a little bit too much chatter on the cheek for a 65 in my opinion...I'd say MS64.

-Paul
I would agree thanks :thumbsup: Jim

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
This is a very good candidate to find a variety # for. I will start looking at the 1878-S Vam page on vamworld. The 1878 series is really hot for variety buyers. There are some that bring $1000's of dollars in circulated condition and I am not kidding. This will also help you determine if you are buying a counterfeit because it should be cataloged if it is a real Morgan made with the Dies created by the US Mint. I need to know if the R in Trust is Broken or Completely Intact and is the 4th right star broken? Next I will need some close up shots of the wing to thigh area of the Eagle on the reverse. This is a good start but I will probably have more questions. Here is the website I am using to do get the variety # in case you want to try and figure it out yourself. http://www.vamworld.com/1878-S+B2+Varieties

Kris

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KJW said:
This is a very good candidate to find a variety # for. I will start looking at the 1878-S Vam page on vamworld. The 1878 series is really hot for variety buyers. There are some that bring $1000's of dollars in circulated condition and I am not kidding. This will also help you determine if you are buying a counterfeit because it should be cataloged if it is a real Morgan made with the Dies created by the US Mint. I need to know if the R in Trust is Broken or Completely Intact and is the 4th right star broken? Next I will need some close up shots of the wing to thigh area of the Eagle on the reverse. This is a good start but I will probably have more questions. Here is the website I am using to do get the variety # in case you want to try and figure it out yourself. http://www.vamworld.com/1878-S+B2+Varieties

Kris
Thanks Kris for the help ill try my best to figure it out Jim

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
Deepdiger60 said:
KJW said:

Kris
Thanks Kris for the help ill try my best to figure it out Jim

Just let me know if you need any help. Kris

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
Would also agree with the MS64 grade. Coin is genuine also ... no doubt. If you're trying to nail down the VAM, focus on a couple of pick-up points. 1. The 'r' in Trust ... complete or broken (yours is broken), and the fourth star to the right of the date ... complete or broken point (yours appears to have a slightly broken point). Unfortunately the "high-priced" 78-S VAMs have the intact 'r' (a few have the broken star). Another pick-up point on the 78-S to look for is a long nock on the arrow. Check out the VAMWorld page for 78-S and see the pictures of long-nocks (VAMs 26, 27, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 62 and 72). These are high-priced and especially in uncirculated condition.

A tip when trying to use the VAMWorld page on the 78-S ... click on the link(78-S B-2 varieties) and it will sort them by the two features mentioned above.

Good Luck

tdec1000

Jul 1, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 550 w/ 4" coil and Garrett Ace 250
Hyperion!! nice to see you on another forum!!

tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread