Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this is the right place to post, or if anyone cares anymore. Seems no one will do a thing about it.

Anyway, maybe I can save one person from being duped.

The seller in Quebec has already sold some of these and is still at it.

Here is one and he has a few of them.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330505126136&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

As usual there are a few bidders.

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know they are fake? Not doubting you, I am curious what to look for.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldNBroken said:

Well for one he has a bunch of different dates and all look like they came off the same die, and also I know a guy in ontario who bought one from, and they are not of the correct weight.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
OldNBroken said:

Well for one he has a bunch of different dates and all look like they came off the same die, and also I know a guy in ontario who bought one from, and they are not of the correct weight.

Why didnt he give him negative feedback if it was the wrong weight.....just curious. I notice the seller has 100% positive.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alpha105 said:
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
OldNBroken said:

Why didnt he give him negative feedback if it was the wrong weight.....just curious. I notice the seller has 100% positive.

He hasn't left feedback yet as he is returning the "coin"

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aaron7 said:
Looks legit to me... and he has 100% positives.

Sure he isn't just your competition? :laughing9:

Why don't you buy one then see if you are still laughing.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aaron7 said:
Looks legit to me... and he has 100% positives.

Sure he isn't just your competition? :laughing9:

Look as stated in the opening post I did this to help someone aviod being ripped off, perhaps someone like you. Maybe you think it is all a joke, but I don't, counterfeiting is a serious problem in this hobby.

Ebay does not care about you, I have reported these things before, they do not get removed.
here is a good example. I reported this one, and nothing happened.
http://www.ottawacoinclub.com/Counterfeit_Coins.html

By the way the resolution center is not likely to help you should you get one (some) of these, they will insist you get the coin authenticated, by the time that happens...too late.

Now think for a second, if what I said was not true I could sued, and I assure you I have no fear of that.

Like I said you buy one and see if you are still laughing.

Jowlz

Aug 6, 2006
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500GTI/Minelab Explorer SE
Thanks for posting the information. Ebay is loaded with fake coins. You're right, Ebay is more concerned with getting their fees, than stopping people from selling bogus coins. I have seen them shut down fake coin auctions. Usually, it's after the auction ends, and the buyer ends up having no record of the auction, except paypal. I have seen the same sellers relist under a different seller name and the game goes on...

Definitely keep posting about counterfeit coins, but it might be helpful to post why you think they are counterfeit.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Thanks Rick for your post. It helps all of us. Sorry we always seem to have one or two nut jobs on here at any one time.

Happy Holidays to you and yours Rick!

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
enamel7 said:
Item has been removed.

I just got my power back on (3 days without), I see it has been removed, probably has more to do with reporting it to the police than to ebay, don't know.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
desertfox said:
Thanks Rick for your post. It helps all of us. Sorry we always seem to have one or two nut jobs on here at any one time.

Happy Holidays to you and yours Rick!

Thanks a lot Desert Fox and Kantuckkeean.

By the way the chinese are getting better, their fakes no longer have to be underweight, scary.
Here's one that weighs correctly, but still has the funny milky look, hard to describe, but funny.
However they won't fool a metal detector, this coin willl only register up to 63 on my Omega, where as a real quarter will register at 90. This coin fooled a scale, but not gut feelings or a MD. It has been turned in to police, on Tuesday Dec 14 2010.

Attachments

• IMG_1775.JPG
    IMG_1775.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_1776.JPG
    IMG_1776.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_1774.JPG
    IMG_1774.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 438

Jowlz

Aug 6, 2006
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500GTI/Minelab Explorer SE
Rick, Check the thickness. That is a newer way that they are counterfeiting Chinese Pandas. The size and diameter are correct. The coin is thicker so weighs right. It's also much harder to detect a thicker coin in a picture...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait until they figure out if they make them with silver they'll fool a whole lot more people and make a whole lot more money. Glad I have very little interest late 19th/20th century coins.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Wait until they figure out if they make them with silver they'll fool a whole lot more people and make a whole lot more money. Glad I have very little interest late 19th/20th century coins.

I can't figure out why they haven't already, I mean a couple of bucks for silver for something worth hundreds, they must be pretty cheap.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Iron Patch said:

I can't figure out why they haven't already, I mean a couple of bucks for silver for something worth hundreds, they must be pretty cheap.

They are very cheap. But the same thing happened with watches... They really bumped up the quality and now some of the fakes are so good you have to REALLY know the watch and what to look for to tell the difference.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jowlz said:
Rick, Check the thickness. That is a newer way that they are counterfeiting Chinese Pandas. The size and diameter are correct. The coin is thicker so weighs right. It's also much harder to detect a thicker coin in a picture...

This is true..I bought some "Replica Morgans for under 2.00 wih free shipping from China, just to see what quality they were, and i was very impressed/disgusted how close they are..I put my REAL Morgan on a scale...Then the Fake on the Scale..and they weighed exactly the same...then I checked Diameters....and they were dead on...But it was just a bit thicker...

I really dont understand how they can get away with this Shii...and the other day i see they are pumping out Fake Mercury Dimes!!....When is this gonna stop?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread