MVC-001F.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 562
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 560

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
GaCracker said:
My son found this coin yesterday in SE Ga. So far it has been identified as "Regensburg, Germany area coin from the 1600's.
Does anyone have a positive ID? It does have some silver in it but read low on the MXT. It is very, very thin.

I would say from the looks of it that it is original. I really like it and hope I can find something like that someday. :icon_thumright:. I looked on ebay and found one that is from 1634 that looks similar to yours. I am not saying it is the same denomination but it looks close to the same. The Date is on the side with the keys. If you look hard enough you might be able to get an exact date.

Here is a link to the coin that looks similar to yours. It is listed on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Germany-Regensb...947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb36b5a83

I hope this helps and I hope you have a RARE date. It is in pretty nice condition for being from the 1600's!!

Kris

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The legend on the bottom coin reads, in part, DG ROM IMP SEM AVG but, unfortunately, I can't read the ruler's name that would complete the legend. And, yes, the crossed keys is the 'logo' (Coat of Arms) for the town of Regensburg.
Don.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The coin's denomination (assuming it is a coin versus a medal) can be determined by its diameter.
Some examples:
10 kreuzer 29mm
batzen 26mm
1/2 batzen 22mm
3 kreuzer 20mm
dickmunze 16mm
What is the diameter of your coin?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:read2:

I believe your coin is a 1 Kreuzer..but debased, Silver over Copper. :thumbsup:

SS

lazooro

Sep 27, 2008
Sezana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, TESORO TEJON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1235CE said:
Would silver ever turn green like that? :dontknow:

Maybe a copper coin in the same hole?

HH all!

Greg

it is billon coin.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KJW said:
GaCracker said:
My son found this coin yesterday in SE Ga. So far it has been identified as "Regensburg, Germany area coin from the 1600's.
Does anyone have a positive ID? It does have some silver in it but read low on the MXT. It is very, very thin.

I would say from the looks of it that it is original. I really like it and hope I can find something like that someday. :icon_thumright:. I looked on ebay and found one that is from 1634 that looks similar to yours. I am not saying it is the same denomination but it looks close to the same. The Date is on the side with the keys. If you look hard enough you might be able to get an exact date.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Germany-Regensb...947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb36b5a83

I hope this helps and I hope you have a RARE date. It is in pretty nice condition for being from the 1600's!!

Kris

Wow that coin sold for only 9.50?..i would think it would be worth much more

jrc79inNC

Sep 26, 2010
Bayern, Deutschland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the coin is from Regensburg, Germany and is a 2 Kreuzer or Halbbatzen (Halb meaning half in German) piece. It looks like its from the early 17th century but shy of me getting a date its difficult for me to give a KM number off my Standard Catalog of German coins. A handful of the varieties in VG condition have listings of value from 7 to 11 dollars. Bear in mind my catalog is halfway out of date as I purchased this one in 2004 but it still comes in handy in identifying German coins which is a subject that really grabs my attention. The listing here is apprently stating that they were made of silver (no listing of Billon), however as far as silver coins going green, yes I have seen it happen a few times, even with say 90% silver pieces.

lazooro

Sep 27, 2008
Sezana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, TESORO TEJON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
KJW said:
GaCracker said:

Kris

Wow that coin sold for only 9.50?..i would think it would be worth much more

sold at least 100 pcs of similar old coins for 3-5$...so 9 is quite ok for me :-/

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By a coin like that the interesting thing is NOT the value, in my opinion.
The interesting thing is that it was found, where it was found !!

I´d keep it !! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread