What is a proof coin?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Re: What is a 'proof' coin?

Beginning in 1968 the proofs all have an S mint mark and mirror shiny fields.

There is only two coins I can think of that have an S mint mark and are not proof.
One is a 1998 RFK Dollar commemorative Coin and the other is the Half that came with it.
They were part of a Special Mint Set and were issued together. and are SMS coins. They have a Matte finish and are among the very rare of American Currency. Aprox 30,000 Known.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Proof refers to the strike of the coin. Modern proofs will have mirror-like fields with frosty devices. Proofs will have an "S" mintmark. Not all "S" mintmarked coins are proof. Bi-centennials minted in San Fran have both business strikes and proof strikes. To complicate matters, San Fran minted both clad proofs and silver proofs. Also, not all proofs are minted in San Fran when it comes to commemoratives or bullion coins. Philly has produced proofs in the past 20 years that are quite collectible. A 1999 SBA proof was struck in Philly. It is only clad but carries a price of $20 and up. Silver American Eagles (proofs) were produced in Philly and West Point including some rarities 1995-W and 2006-P Reverse Proof. Enjoy the madness.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Thanks everyone...I am now well armed with knowledge, and more confused at the same time.

Will I know a half dollar proof when I see one, or do they blend in with all the other halves? In other words, do proofs stand out in a bag of circulated coins?

Thanks!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread