Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
& Nickels Too !

Someday, probably within your lifetime, the one-cent coin will go away. The penny, the first coin minted in the United States, was obviated by inflation before most members of today’s work force were born. Its production cost is more than half again as much as its face value. Its detractors include respected economists, forward-looking realists, and coastal cosmopolitans; its supporters consist largely of sentimentalists, hoarders, the zinc lobby, and the dwindling number of women named Penelope.

Campaigners against the penny deploy the language of reason exasperated by mulish cant. Freakonomics co-author Stephen J. Dubner uses his New York Times blog to sniff at the “nostalgia,” “inertia,” and “ridiculous pro-penny defenses” of Abe Lincoln fans stricken with “pennycitis,” opining that pennies are best used as floor tiling at hipster bars in Manhattan’s meatpacking district. In a YouTube rant, anti-pennyist John Green denounces pennies as “bacteria-ridden disks of suck that fail to facilitate commerce.”

To earn the federal minimum wage as a penny collector, you’d have to stoop and pick up one coin every five seconds.

http://reason.com/archives/2010/12/24/penny-reign

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha..Nice video...its pretty sad with the Zincs are becoming to much of a cost to make

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Its a national disgrace that the some of the coinage of the United States deteriorates badly as soon as it leaves the mint. I hate pennies; there is no need for them, and I hate in particular the Zlincolns.

wvrick

Sep 27, 2010
Salt Rock,WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab CTX 3030, E-Trac, Whites V3i, DFX, Fisher CoinStrike, Garrett AT-Pro, Explorer XS, Garrett GTI-2500 Pro, Fisher F2, and Whites Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3 (Hip mount), Fisher CZ7a-Pro
100% agree! too bad our coins since they went to zine are a disgrace! Worthless tokens....

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cents gone, then nickels, then all coinage, then currency. You will then have a "cashless society" where big brother can moniter your every spenditure.

Coins may be the last refuge of our "real" individual freedom.

wvrick

Sep 27, 2010
Salt Rock,WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab CTX 3030, E-Trac, Whites V3i, DFX, Fisher CoinStrike, Garrett AT-Pro, Explorer XS, Garrett GTI-2500 Pro, Fisher F2, and Whites Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3 (Hip mount), Fisher CZ7a-Pro
thrillathahunt said:
Cents gone, then nickels, then all coinage, then currency. You will then have a "cashless society" where big brother can moniter your every spenditure.

Only the zine pennys and nickles.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:

This is very true when the monetary system is gone they can watch everything you spend money on... not for me Keep what we have

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Europe, we still have a cent, I think, but its not in use. The grocery bill is just rounded up or down to 5 cents, and it all evens out. There is no use in playing with a one cent coin, especially if it cost more to make than its worth. How long would a business get by, if the products cost more to make than they were sold for. Of all countries in the world, the US should understand this better than anyone. I doubt that if the penny is trashed, the whole economy will crash too. A penny is just a penny. If the money is worthless and people walk outside of store, and throw the pennies on the street, then something is really wrong. Life will go on without the penny!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say let all prices round UP to the nearest 5 cents and give it to government. NOT. And if we get rid of the penny how can government bodies effectively tax us in half cent increments so that we don't notice. Wait, that didn't make sense. We do not have half cents anymore. :dontknow:
Oh thats right, the tax doesn't matter because we don't have the currency to manage it. The state I am in JUST passed a .5 cent increase in gasoline tax. Nothing to see here folks,, just keep moving. ???

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Zinc lozenges are effective in shortening the length of the common cold. Keep a
pocketful of zincolns handy.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave44 said:
I say let all prices round UP to the nearest 5 cents and give it to government. NOT. And if we get rid of the penny how can government bodies effectively tax us in half cent increments so that we don't notice. Wait, that didn't make sense. We do not have half cents anymore. :dontknow:
Oh thats right, the tax doesn't matter because we don't have the currency to manage it. The state I am in JUST passed a .5 cent increase in gasoline tax. Nothing to see here folks,, just keep moving. ???

Imagine the value of a Half cent now :tongue3:

even 5 cents dosn't buy anything.

Can you even get bubble gum
from a machine for a Dime ? :dontknow:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are exactly right Jeff. That's what politicians hope we say! Incrementally tax us in unrecognizable numbers so they can have the goodies that is important to them.
BUT say 1million people get 20 gals of gas that has .5 cent more tax on a single day. (That is a truly conservative #)
It equals $10 million/day or 3billion 650 million/ year. Sir. that is many half cents!!!!!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zerojinx said:
If the US stops making pennies, then they would be worth something as collectables as they arn't being made anymore.

Just a Guess but if they stoped Making & Accepting Pennies,
there would be a Recall

& After so long Declared Useless like Half cents.

Possably at that point they may end the Restrictions on Melting them,
as the reason for the Law is Supposedl
to keep Pennies in abundence, Like we realy need them
to stick in Take a penny Jars at the counter,
or throw in the parking lots :tongue3:

But My guess the law will stay in effect but be Buried
for a hundred or so years till Copper is a Precious Metel
& Needed more then the law.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lastleg said:
Zinc lozenges are effective in shortening the length of the common cold. Keep a
pocketful of zincolns handy.

BRILLIANT!!!!

This is how we can save the penny! Seriously!

Zinc is well known for its ability to inhibit viral and bacterial replication...not only for colds/flu but for wound healing as well. Copper is key in preventing aneurysms in arterial walls...there are many deaths each year from abdominal aortic aneurysms, strokes from cranial aneurysms, etc....Copper is a key element in the formation of connective tissue which is basically what holds your entire body together. If you do not get trace amounts of this "trace element" your skin will wrinkle worse than it should, you will have more joint pain and be more susceptible to muscle tearing, sprained ankles...etc... the list goes on and on.

So, here is the deal. You know how people have those "Need a penny, take a penny." little containers on convenience store counters, restaurants and other places? Well, each time you go by, take one and say "Man, I sure do need a penny!", clean it off and pop it in your mouth! As the clerk and onlookers stand there in shock, calmly explain that you are making sure that you get your trace elements for the day and discuss the therapeutic aspects of penny SUCKING. That,s right, you heard it here first! The next trend in medical health and the key to saving the penny in the same post!!

"A penny a day, keeps the wrinkles away!" A new maxim to span the ages!! :headbang:

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
Nevermind all the feces on the penny you just popped into your mouth, that will not go away with a simple quick cleaning. Other than that i'm on board. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread