Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on the individual coin. Even though a silver or gold coin may be in fantastic condition, it may only be worth as much as the gold or silver melt value, depending on the mintage and number of similar coins that have been preserved. However, if it's a low mintage gold or silver coin, it may be worth much more than the silver or gold value, even though it's condition isn't the greatest.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will not be two separate prices. The value you are seeing, if the price book is current, is the overall value of the coin inclusive of rarity, composition and grade. As Kantuck said, for value purposes rarity will preclude composition while a common issue coin will often only be worth the sum of the metals it contains regardless of grade.

Remember also, price guides are simply that.....a guide. When looking to price a coin a good portion of doing so will be determined by whom the buyer is. Collectors will pay more than dealers. Dealers will also need to buy under spot (spot refers to the current price for metals) for common silver and gold as they will have to have a profit margin when reselling.

OP
OP
treasureman1414

treasureman1414

Dec 14, 2010
black hills
Detector(s) used
whites coin shooter and my fav the quick draw 2 bounty hunter
DigginThePast said:
There will not be two separate prices. The value you are seeing, if the price book is current, is the overall value of the coin inclusive of rarity, composition and grade. As Kantuck said, for value purposes rarity will preclude composition while a common issue coin will often only be worth the sum of the metals it contains regardless of grade.

Remember also, price guides are simply that.....a guide. When looking to price a coin a good portion of doing so will be determined by whom the buyer is. Collectors will pay more than dealers. Dealers will also need to buy under spot (spot refers to the current price for metals) for common silver and gold as they will have to have a profit margin when reselling.
ok i think i understand thanks for the helping

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread