Washington Commemoritive half dollar

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
999digger said:
I am confused. I bought a 1982 MS65 Washington Commemorative half dollar. If I am not mistaken this is 90% silver and I paid $6.00 for it. What doesnt make sense is he is paying 18x face for silver coins, so I made three dollars if I sold it back to him. Any thoughts?

Not all Commemorative Half dollars are silver. They come in both Clad and Silver, have to watch the description closely when
buying them on E-Bay and Craigslist.

OP
OP
999digger

999digger

Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
FreedomUIC said:
999digger said:
I am confused. I bought a 1982 MS65 Washington Commemorative half dollar. If I am not mistaken this is 90% silver and I paid $6.00 for it. What doesnt make sense is he is paying 18x face for silver coins, so I made three dollars if I sold it back to him. Any thoughts?

Not all Commemorative Half dollars are silver. They come in both Clad and Silver, have to watch the description closely when
I have a book that has the compositions listed next to the picture of the coin. It says .9000 silver.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
999digger said:
FreedomUIC said:
999digger said:

I have a book that has the compositions listed next to the picture of the coin. It says .9000 silver.

Then somebody made a big boo-boo when they sold it that cheap. If it is slabbed you probably can't see the rim, but if you can it should be solid silver just like a normal 90% half.... :icon_thumright:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
FreedomUIC said:
999digger said:
FreedomUIC said:
999digger said:

Then somebody made a big boo-boo when they sold it that cheap. If it is slabbed you probably can't see the rim, but if you can it should be solid silver just like a normal 90% half.... :icon_thumright:

FreedomUIC - I know you know your coins as you frequent the CRH group and I've seen you post here and there on T'Net regarding coins. So I'm surprised that the coin in question didn't register on your radar. You do know that the 1982 GW commem. was the first 90% silver commem. since the commem. hiatus that separates Modern Commemoratives from their predecessors. It came in a proof and uncirc. strike. They are pretty common, but the dealer definitely goofed letting the silver go at that price.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
FreedomUIC said:
999digger said:
FreedomUIC said:
999digger said:

FreedomUIC - I know you know your coins as you frequent the CRH group and I've seen you post here and there on T'Net regarding coins. So I'm surprised that the coin in question didn't register on your radar. You do know that the 1982 GW commem. was the first 90% silver commem. since the commem. hiatus that separates Modern Commemoratives from their predecessors. It came in a proof and uncirc. strike. They are pretty common, but the dealer definitely goofed letting the silver go at that price.

:icon_scratch: Yea, now that you mention it I screwed the pooch on that one..... :laughing7:

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
The 1982 Washington Commemoritive half dollar gets no respect! I have about 100 + of them that I have scooped up in both proof and unc for just a couple of bucks over the years. No one wants them but I think they are a nice design. I like them even more as silver gets closer to $35.00 oz.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I like all silver as the price of silver goes up. Pretty soon I expect to pass "like" and become nearly ecstatic!

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
As a matter of fact I just purchased 3 of them from an ad in the back of one of my magazines a couple of weeks ago. Go to iccoin.com/deals Then go to Quick order and fill out the form using Dept. N5141. The item # is 13503. (Qty 3 but they may let you order 6) They will sell you 3 of them for $29.85 with free shipping. That's about $7.75 under melt. It's just an on line order form. You don't have to speak with any human. Just be careful what contact info you give them because I assume they will want to call for to discuss future purchases. I have no affiliation I'm just passing along a good deal.

*NOTE: Offer is still good. I just ordered 3 more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread