New Morgan Dollar Rainbow toner!

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I picked this up today at a show in Lakeland, FL. Whatcha guys think?

1879-SMorganTonerICG65.jpg

-Paul

sctoddc

Jan 4, 2010
Greenwood SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a dumb question, but what causes the toning effect?

Todd

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Hi Todd, in short, toning is caused by the silver in the coin reacting to the sulphur in the environment or the material in the storage container it's in. There is a natural progression of colors and the pattern can vary depending on how the coin was positioned while being stored. Intially the toning will produce the colors you see on the coin above but left in the same environment it will eventually turn the coin black. Real toning usually takes lots of time and each coin becomes it's own little work of art. Toning that is visually pleasing like the coin above can raise a common coins value but, some collectors think that toning devalues the coin. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think Coinkids Morgan is awesome.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rooter said:
Hi Todd, in short, toning is caused by the silver in the coin reacting to the sulphur in the environment or the material in the storage container it's in. There is a natural progression of colors and the pattern can vary depending on how the coin was positioned while being stored. Intially the toning will produce the colors you see on the coin above but left in the same environment it will eventually turn the coin black. Real toning usually takes lots of time and each coin becomes it's own little work of art. Toning that is visually pleasing like the coin above can raise a common coins value but, some collectors think that toning devalues the coin. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think Coinkids Morgan is awesome.

Brown paper bag and a banana peel will do the same thing in about week...... :laughing7:

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful coin! Some people do not like the toned coins I think it gives them character. Very nice looking coin :icon_thumleft:

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the tone also! And photo display!
I have a bunch of statehood quarters that have some nice toning! Wonder if there is amarket for them?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can tell by the dots on her face that this coin's toning was the result of "improper storage". The dot pattern shows that it was in a bag or against a napkin/cloth of some kind.

It's funny but toning is probably the only coin defect due to improper handling/storage that people will actually pay extra for! :wink: Rub the coin even the slightest bit and it is suddenly worth next to nothing. But put it in a bag or napkin laced with sulfur so that it turns a very unnatural rainbow of colors and people knock each other over to pay extra for it.

Don't get me wrong... it is a pretty coin. Very nice toning. But I just think it's funny that coin people make a distinction between flaws that are considered "toning" and every other type of flaw.

OP
OP
Coinkid

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
mts said:
You can tell by the dots on her face that this coin's toning was the result of "improper storage". The dot pattern shows that it was in a bag or against a napkin/cloth of some kind.

It's funny but toning is probably the only coin defect due to improper handling/storage that people will actually pay extra for! :wink: Rub the coin even the slightest bit and it is suddenly worth next to nothing. But put it in a bag or napkin laced with sulfur so that it turns a very unnatural rainbow of colors and people knock each other over to pay extra for it.

Don't get me wrong... it is a pretty coin. Very nice toning. But I just think it's funny that coin people make a distinction between flaws that are considered "toning" and every other type of flaw.

This coin likely came directly from a mint bag. The "textile" toning on her cheek is the result of storage against the canvas bag the mint used. I would not call this improper storage, as that usually implies unattractive damage that prohibits the coin from being graded.

-Paul

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinkid said:
mts said:

This coin likely came directly from a mint bag. The "textile" toning on her cheek is the result of storage against the canvas bag the mint used. I would not call this improper storage, as that usually implies unattractive damage that prohibits the coin from being graded.

-Paul

If you took a mint state MS-65 coin and put it in a canvas bag in your basement to store it, every coin enthusiast I know of would call that an improper storage technique.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to detract from your purchase. It is a very neat looking coin. I've just always thought that it was funny that toning is treated differently from so many other coin "imperfections". But as long as you like it and everyone else places a higher value on it due to the toning then I see no problem with it.

Enjoy your new coin. It is a real beauty that's for sure!

OP
OP
Coinkid

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
mts said:
Coinkid said:
mts said:

-Paul

If you took a mint state MS-65 coin and put it in a canvas bag in your basement to store it, every coin enthusiast I know of would call that an improper storage technique.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to detract from your purchase. It is a very neat looking coin. I've just always thought that it was funny that toning is treated differently from so many other coin "imperfections". But as long as you like it and everyone else places a higher value on it due to the toning then I see no problem with it.

Enjoy your new coin. It is a real beauty that's for sure!

I understand. And I actually don't own it anymore, unfortunately. I sold it for a few times what I paid for it. :D

-Paul

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread