Cleaning Coins? How do you clean your coins?

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
czoom said:
How do you clean your coins??? Quarters, Pennies and Dimes

I usually use a hard wire brush, with a mild acid. Then I scrub it very hard until it shines! Just kidding.

Why are you cleaning the coins? As a free service to the US Treasury before you place them back in circulation? To keep them for your own collection?

It probably depends on the date/condition of the coin(s) you found, and whether you plan to sell the coin to the general coin-collecting public.

For example, if you found an 1877 Indian Cent, you may wish to have it professionally cleaned/restored. If you found a cruddy 2010-D Cent, you probably wouldn't have it professionally done.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
You shouldn't clean any coins unless you know for certain what their value is. You could be destroying the numismatic value of a very expensive coin. Post a list of the coins and dates and someone will give you an idea if they are common with no real value or something else. If they are common, clean away! If you don't know it's better to be safe than Blah Blah Blah.....

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I think there's a coin cleaning forum here. You might try looking there as well.

1) If the coins are corroded, almost any method will do. The coins will be worth face value, but that's probably all they are worth anyway.

2) If most of the features are still visible, try using soap (I like Dawn) and warm water. DON'T SCRUB. Just let soak for an hour, then rinse. Most mud should come off. If it doesn't, see #1.

3) If you can tell the coin is a keeper (silver, gold, etc.), clean using acetone and dabbing with cotton pads or Q-tips. Acetone dissolves organic material only. Lightly cleaning with acetone alone should not cause any abrasion.

4) If you've got crude that will not come off otherwise, my advice is don't spend a lot of time and work on the coin. If silver, sell as bullion. Copper or nickel, sell at face value unless there is a rarer date visible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread