1944-S zinc steel penny

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
dunn1866 said:
yep!!!!! the so call million dollar white penny is a myth.The one you want is the 1943 copper.

That is incorrect. There have been some 1944 zincs reported. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(U.S._coin)

"In 1943, at the peak of World War II, cents of zinc-plated steel were made for a short time due to war demands for copper. A few (the U.S. Mint reports forty) copper cents from 1943 were produced from the 1942 planchets remaining in the bins. Similarly, some 1944 steel cents have been reported. Following 1943, salvaged ammunition shells made their way into the minting process, and it was not uncommon to see coins featuring streaks of brass or having a considerably darker finish than other issues."

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
1235CE said:
First, I really hope this coin is real......what scares me is that you said that the coin "is a little magnetic".....like just enough magnetic because it's been thinly plated......again, I really hope it's real and you're soon rich!

HH all
Greg
What 1235ce said is correct. If it is a steel penny, it should stick or move with a magnet pretty easy. If it is just coated the penny might be to heavy for the magnet to pick it up. Take it to a dealer or get it graded. I hope it is authentic. Good luck and keep us updated.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I have a proof set of 3 1943 Steel Pennies. Pretty nice looking. Bought them from a coin dealer back in the early 70s for a few dollars. And then I have a few in lesser (read: rusty) condition.

I agree with all of the above. Have it graded by PCGS. You will make the fee you pay to them many times over if it is authentic.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I found a little info re: 44 steel pennies. Doesn't mention SF tho. Anyhow it says, Several .1 struck on steel planchets fetch Several Hundred Dollars apiece.

I hope this helps.

Joe

secondcup

May 11, 2006
Seacoast, New Hampshire
I'd be careful with coin appraisal companies that come to your door with a checkbook. It would pay to wait, save up some cash, and send it to one of the "big three" coin grading services:

Professional Coin Grading Service - www.pcgs.com
NGC - www.ngccoin.com
ANACS - www.anacs.com

If you have what you think you have, and it can be authenticated by one of these reputable companies, then I'd expect to see an article about you in Coin World! I would think it could be worth a considerable sum.

There was a recent story about a 1973 or 1974 aluminum penny that turned up and was authenticated. The mint was experimenting with alternative metals and gave a few out to congressmen to review. It was a trial piece that was supposed to be destroyed but wasn't.

You just never know.

Keep us posted on this one and good luck!

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I second Secondcup's advice. You definitely have a "Keeper" there.

Secondcup: I remember when they passed around the Pattern Cents to the Committee. They never got 'em back. Why am I not surprised?

Secondcup: I understand that since the Gov't never officially released the Alum. Coins, they remain their property. They will Confiscate them!! JOE

secondcup

May 11, 2006
Seacoast, New Hampshire
Joe,

Have you heard how the aluminum penny that surfaced was found? The guy who owned it was a cleaning person (I believe) and pick it up after some senator or congressman dropped it. He tried to return it but the senator said "keep it". He held onto it for all these years and I guess just realized what he had...or maybe his family did.

Some guys have all the luck!

:)

sc

J

JDSCOIN

Check it with another or other stronger magnets.

What I notice about it is that it does not look to be uncirculated or very near that grade. Maybe you can take some better close-up pictures to post. And there were some very good things said regarding this coin. One of them is to check for a 'seam'. Maybe you can post a close-up of the side or edge of the coin so that we can take a look at that.

It may be a home-made fake of this error. I always tell people to be hopefull of what they find or have, but be cautious also. Do not automatically assume that it is real or genuine just because it seems to be or because you may like it to be. Instead, keep your head and go through the process of making that determination.

I hope that you have a real rarity here, but there are too many things to check about it first before I would be confident that it is. Best wishes,

JDSCOIN

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please, whatever you do, only hold the coin by the edge with your fingers on either side on the rim. Never "palm" it or touch either the front or back with your finger. Copper and Steel coins that are shiny are highly prone to discoloration due to the oils on your fingers.

Buckleboy

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
In 1943 there were some other off-metal cents in aluminum. The US was making coins for allied countries and the same error that caused the 1943 copper coins caused these. Never as popular as the 1943 copper but very easy to spot. They are bright white and do not attract to a magnet. exanimo, siegfried schlagrule

nogotee

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of these as well 1944 S. Steely I call it. Its a wheat penny made with the wrong metal for the year. I've had it put up for at least 50 years. We have placed scan's and Videos on You-tube. But I still have not figuared out if I want someone to clean it or not. I assume a Jeweler or coin expert would do that. But I have refused and refused and been asked many times. Is there a such person that does this for the purpose. I mean knowing all the problems that the metal on a zinc cent has. Prone to rust etc.. Anyone know of values or service's like I have spoken about?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I have one of these as well 1944 S. Steely I call it. Its a wheat penny made with the wrong metal for the year. I've had it put up for at least 50 years. We have placed scan's and Videos on You-tube. But I still have not figuared out if I want someone to clean it or not. I assume a Jeweler or coin expert would do that. But I have refused and refused and been asked many times. Is there a such person that does this for the purpose. I mean knowing all the problems that the metal on a zinc cent has. Prone to rust etc.. Anyone know of values or service's like I have spoken about?

NCS conservation services

nogotee

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one like it but yours is nicer. It is made with the wrong metal if it is indeed a 44 it should be copper/brass. You will not find much out about it online. Bob Simpson I believe has two. He also owns copper 43 d's two of them. One worth 1.7 mil and the other worth 1 mil. I have heard in great shape up to 300 K for these but that was long ago. I have had mine put up for 50 or so years. I am nearing retirement and just now we have put videos out about it. Feel free to send a private message and I will respond and tell you more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions