1944-S zinc steel penny

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes lisa it is know as a coin error from the mint there wasnot suppose to be any 44's in steel some got struck and you do need to send it of to a grading place such as one of the major grading companies out there and get it authenticated and graded and then send it to auction you could fetch a few hundred thousand dollars for it. Who knows HH and congrat on your collection I bet it is asome

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
These are common. They are easy to fake, all you do is take a regular 1944 cent and plate it in zinc. A real Steel 1944 will stick fast to a magnate. It will weigh 2.7g. A fake will not be attracted to a magnet, it will weigh just over 3.1 grams, If it sticks VERY VERY well to a magnet, you need to send it to the ANA or PCGS for authentication. A real one will have very mushy details on the design (steel is much harder to stamp than bronze, and thus the lighter stamping used in 1944 will leave a very weak strike on a 1944 steel).

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unfortunately Liss24 posted this in 2006 & left shortly after

Seak1562

Jan 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one to and was wondering if you can give me more information on it I really would apreciate it

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one to and was wondering if you can give me more information on it I really would apreciate it

If it's a 1944 see if a Magnet will stick.
If it sticks to a Magnet it is Steel & rare.

If it is a 1943 If it sticks to a Magnet it is Steel & Not rare.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's a 1944 see if a Magnet will stick.
If it sticks to a Magnet it is Steel & rare.

If it is a 1943 If it sticks to a Magnet it is Steel & Not rare.

OR if it's a 44 and it sticks to a magnet it's probably plated.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just depends on what it's plated with. Nickel plating will attract a magnet, I believe.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just depends on what it's plated with. Nickel plating will attract a magnet, I believe.

I would Think,( But only a Guess ) I would Think, using a weak Magnet, a steel cent would stick.
but a Plated Cent, Even with Nickel or steel would fall off because of weight.
In any event I don't have a plated 44 to try :(

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid me and several of my buddies had access to a chemistry set, and we learned how to electroplate copper by using a nickel, some salt water, and a flashlight battery. 44 coppers were one of our favorite items to plate as a coin company offered big money in comic book ads for 1944 steel pennies as a come on to sell their coin book. It always brought us some kind of perverted pleasure spending these when we managed to get into town, and mostly at the five and dime store, when a penny still had some decent buying power. Not saying this is one we did, as it was a standard black bag operation for little boys back in the day, and there are probably thousands of these nickel plated coins made. I'd suggest you be sure and use a strong magnet to re-test your coin just to make sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread