jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
according to the Red Book a Few 44's were also Struck in steel.

But Dosn't give Value.

is it Yours Or Just a Picture you found ?

it should be close to as rare as the Bronze 1943
(Yes I said Bronze, not Copper. also according to the Red Book)

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you're saying that you actually have one?

OP
OP
L

Liss24

Yes, I own this coin. My grandfather left me his whole coin collection. It's about 400 dollars face worth in just coins. What it could be really worth, I have no clue. He always told me it was worth a fortune.

Attachments

• hi steel.jpg
    hi steel.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 5,041

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome !

and Yes it may Be worth a Fortune.

I wish I could find a Price for you.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
First I truly hope this coin is authentic. Have you tried to stick a magnet to it? I have tried to find some information on the value of this coin. The only thing I can find is that it is as rare of rarer than the 1943 bronze. The highest price paid at auction for the 1943 was over 112,000 thousand dollars. I suggest you take this to a recognized coin dealer and get it authenticated as soon as possible. Good luck....

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You should take it and have it graded by these people

http://www.pcgs.com/

They are the foremost reconized grading company in the industry, and if you intend to sell a coin like this you'll want it graded by them. Either way, just have them seal it up and grade it, even if you wanna keep it. It'll be worth it in the end.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Do be careful handling the coin- only by the edges with clean hands. Oils from your fingers can leave a lasting impression for many years!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and what lucky says, I hope you know he means

A Trust Worthy Coin dealer.

If it sticks to a Magnet & a Dealer says it's fake

Don't let him talk you into Believing him.

djui is correct.
in this case, having it professionally guaranteed
and Graded as a 44-S Steel will increase it's value
way beyond what someone would pay for a raw
coin.

OP
OP
L

Liss24

Is it suppose to sick to a magnit? Also I live in a really small town and we only have two coin dealers within a 100 mile radius and they both like to rip people off. I checked out that one appraisal site and it would cost 200 dollars plus membership to appraise that coin. From dealing with everything my grandparents left me I'm barely scraping by as it is. I just don't have the extra money, that's why I want to sell the coin collection. So I have a question. Have any of you heard of The American Stamp & Coin Appraisal Institute? I have both the coin collection and a stamp collection. They say they will come out and appraise it for free and bring a check book. I'm thinking this might be my best bet. I trust your opinions and I was wondering what you all might think about this.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liss24 said:
Is it suppose to sick to a magnit? Also I live in a really small town and we only have two coin dealers within a 100 mile radius and they both like to rip people off. I checked out that one appraisal site and it would cost 200 dollars plus membership to appraise that coin. From dealing with everything my grandparents left me I'm barely scraping by as it is. I just don't have the extra money, that's why I want to sell the coin collection. So I have a question. Have any of you heard of The American Stamp & Coin Appraisal Institute? I have both the coin collection and a stamp collection. They say they will come out and appraise it for free and bring a check book. I'm thinking this might be my best bet. I trust your opinions and I was wondering what you all might think about this.
ne one that comes to your door will LOW ball you cause all they have in there head is quick cash to pay out for a huge profit in there favor..never yours :-\

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Try Richard Nachbar at 1-877-622-4227. He's got quite a name built up for himself and I highly doubt anyone in his position would cheat on one deal and ruin their reputation.

It would be a real good idea to pick up a copy of the Red Book and take a guess at the values yourself. You'll need a grading book as well, as the grade determines the price. This'll give you a ball park as to the retail value of the coins.

Any dealer is not going to give you full retail, as he has to make a profit when he resells them. High dollar items like yours, I would shoot for 90 percent of retail at least.

Also, the high dollar items like that should be graded and slabbed. Forget about the membership and 200 dollar fees. PCGS charges about 25 bucks a coin. Well worth it for your items. www.pcgs.com or 1-800-447-8848

Also, if you want to try the magnet test, use a couple pieces of paper between the coin and the magnet. One little scratch will turn that 100,000 dollar coin into a 20,000 coin. Chances are likely its not magnetic, but doggone if it is, you have the find of a lifetime!

Best of luck, and doing research on these coins will only protect you and save you money!

OP
OP
L

Liss24

I tried the magnet test. It's a little magnetic. I can move the coin around the magnet but I can't pick it up with it. What does this mean?

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please please please..

If you plan to sell it, get it graded by no-one but the PCGS. It shouldn't cost more than $25-50 for the single coin. If you don't do this, it's anyone's guess as to what you can get for it.

The PCGS is the most significant grading service in the industry, and any sierous coin collector will want it graded by them. If you want good $$ for your coin, you HAVE to have them grade and slab the coin.

It's well worth the $$. Consider it could make you thousands more if you shell out a little now.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you did use paper in between, this may be the reason
your magnet wasn't strong enough to pic it up.

djui5 is correct.

Raw you can sell it to a dealer for what he can afford.

Slabbed you can sell it at Christies for what Billionaire Collectors
are Willing to pay ;)

and a Press Release like this one from 2001,
would be all that it would take.

http://www.icgcoin.com/p010621.htm

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liss24 will you marry me.... ::) ;D IMO i would sell this one coin then keep the rest of the collection for safe keeping and make some smooth invetments with the remainder,hope all turn out well for you !!!ps buy a big expesive safe not from walmart

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
In addition to the few 1944 Lincoln cents which were struck on zinc-plated steel planchets (blanks) left over from the 1943 U.S. cent production, some may also have been struck on the planchets used for a Belgian zinc-coated steel 2 francs coin which was also being struck at the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia in 1944. The Belgian coin was very similar in size and weight (2.75 grams).

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
First, I really hope this coin is real......what scares me is that you said that the coin "is a little magnetic".....like just enough magnetic because it's been thinly plated......again, I really hope it's real and you're soon rich!

HH all
Greg

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
yep!!!!! the so call million dollar white penny is a myth.The one you want is the 1943 copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions