Help Please!!!

LadyDragonWolf

May 31, 2007
Bremerton, WA
I'd like to start cataloguing my great grandfather's coin collection. I know they make plastic sheets for coins similar to what I used to use for hockey/baseball cards.

My question:

Which ones are the best to buy that won't damage the coins? I know certain papers and plastics have chemicals that destroy the metals, so please point me to something that won't suck!

Also, is there a safe way to remove caked on dirt, mold, mildew and overall yuckiness that won't damage anything? I read something about acetone, but is that safe on ALL metals?

Thanks,
Alice

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Alice--they make 2x2 (inch) holders for various size coins - they are safe to use for almost all coins. All of the ones on the market now are safe. Fold them over the coin, staple in three or so places, and you are in business. These, then, fit in the plastic pages you know about. There are several types of pages -- they fit in a standard 3-ring binder. I prefer the ones that load from the side rather than the top-loaders because there is less chance of a 2x2 falling out. Both the holders and pages are available at any coin store and at many hobby supply places. And, of course, online. You might want to buy an assortment of sizes of 2x2s, depending on how many of what sizes of coins you have. Of course, the size relates to the size of the coin it will fit - they are all 2x2" square. Except for "crown-sized" holders that are 2-1/2" square and fit larger coins as well as smaller, 1-1/2" square ones for small coins. Some prefer "flips" - they also will fit in the pages. They are clear vinyl and have two pockets that fold over to enclose the coin on one side and a square of paper on the other where you can write date, condition, etc. I would recommend purchasing the "Redbook" - A Guide to United States Coins. Then, you can do your inventory using standard nomenclature. I'd recommend doing all of this before thinking about cleaning. In general, cleaning is not recommended for coins, but they are yours and you can do what you want with your stuff. Just bear in mind that if a coin has a significant numismatic value, a non-professional cleaning will eliminate most of that value. Acetone will dissolve organic crud on a coin, but it has to be applied carefully (maybe with a Q-tip) in a well-ventilated spot away from sparks/flames/etc. The leftover stuff still has to be removed from the coin and it is the rubbing at this point that would damage coins. If the collection contains circulated coins that have picked up stuff from either storage or circulation, gentle application of acetone and removal by blotting will probably work for you. If they are high-value or uncirculated coins, I'd recommend asking a pro in your area before doing anything. There is probably a coin club in your area that would welcome a new member and be more than willing to share information.

John in ID

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread