1891 Canadian Large Cent - Large or Small Date?

angifogg

Apr 24, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know that a 1891 Canadian Large Cent with small leaves and small date or large leaves and small date are valuable. I have done tons of research online and cannot determine if the Large Cent that I have has a large date or a small date. I need help trying to figure this out.

Thanks Treasurenet Family! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• Ebay 3-2011 003.jpg
    Ebay 3-2011 003.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 3,863
  • Ebay 3-2011 004.jpg
    Ebay 3-2011 004.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 4,074
Sep 8, 2011
I know this is an old thread, but thought this was worth adding...

The trick to figuring out the large or small date on these coins is the upper lobe of the "9" in the date; if that upper lobe extends further to the left than the serif of the 9, you've got a large date. But if the left-most point of the upper lobe in the "9" is even with the left-most point of the serif of the "9", you've got a small date.

The best page to see this clearly & the large vs small leaves is on Rob Turner's site here: http://www.victoriancent.com/1891-cent-varieties.html

Hope this helps anyone else who stumbles across this post needing this answer.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bossapplesauce said:
I know this is an old thread, but thought this was worth adding...

The trick to figuring out the large or small date on these coins is the upper lobe of the "9" in the date; if that upper lobe extends further to the left than the serif of the 9, you've got a large date. But if the left-most point of the upper lobe in the "9" is even with the left-most point of the serif of the "9", you've got a small date.

The best page to see this clearly & the large vs small leaves is on Rob Turner's site here: http://www.victoriancent.com/1891-cent-varieties.html

Hope this helps anyone else who stumbles across this post needing this answer.

Also on the sm date there's a larger space between the 8 and 9 in proportion to the size of the numbers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread