question about silver eagles

albertv

Jun 7, 2010
let say silver is 36.00 bucks an ounce and you have a silver eagle that is 99.99 fine silver. My question is if silver is 36.00 bucks an ounce ,how come you you can still find silver eagles for $22.00 and up, if the silver eagle is almost an ounce? Am I missing something? Also coinflation doesn't list the silver eagles melt value. What gives? Thanks

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some are still finding a good deal on the ASE as those promotions are simply trying to honor the price quoted. Also, with such a sharp rise in the price of silver so quickly, many individuals are caught off guard when selling. You aren't missing anything, those sellers are.

Coinflation only lists values for silver and gold coins that, at one time, circulated. The ASE was never meant to circulate, more as a bullion "coin". Same with modern Gold Eagles.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Hi Albertv, Where are you finding ASE's for $22.00 ea? Buy all of them quickly. Honestly I haven't seen one go for under SPOT plus a small premium (at least on EBAY). You won't find them on Coinflation because as Diggin said they're sold primarily as bullion coins and are a troy ounce so no conversion is needed. People do collect them and those with lower mintages can carry a pretty sizeable premium. If your lucky you can find one that's been laying around some shop and hasn't had the price updated to reflect the current value of silver.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, definitely grab all you can at that price. :thumbsup: I'm not so lucky to find them under spot but a few folks on here have posted recently about doing so. :headbang:

OP
OP
A

albertv

Jun 7, 2010
Had a chance about 2 weeks ago to pick up a few for around $24.00 each and had a brain frt and passed them up ??? Oh well. Thanks guys for setting me straight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread