How do I clean deep cameo proofs?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Over the past month, I've been fortunate to have found two deep cameo JFK half dollar proofs. I found the two coins at different banks. These are clad coins. A '79 and '83, I think.

At least I think these are deep cameo proofs. They both have a super shiny, mirrored finish, and the bust of JFK has a frosted appearance.

Both coins are in great shape, but they have a milky white film on them that wants to wipe clean.

What is the film on them?

Can I just use a soft, clean cloth to wipe them? Should I use a camera lens wipe instead?

While I am asking dumb questions, were these deep cameos made by the mint for the collector market?

I'm not a coin collector, but these two proofs may have me hooked on the hobby!!!! I am so tempted to buy a half dollar coin book!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes and do not clean them --messes up the value.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are only proof if they are S mintmarked. As stated wiping them is a bad idea.

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
Wiping with anything will ruin any coins numismatic value. You could try to soak them in Acetone (Be very careful it is nasty stuff don't get it on your skin and use a glass bowl). If the whiteness does not go away you should just leave them as is. The white is probably a type of fog toning and many 1970's and 80's proof sets have the toning on atleast a few of the coins in the sets. It will not hurt the value to keep it on there.

By the way any coins produced in proof sets prior to 1968 would not have an S mint mark they were produced in Philadelphia up until 1967 (Actually 1966 & 1967 sets are not proof but called special mint sets No proof coins were made those 2 years).

Kris

New2Brass

Greenie
Apr 6, 2011
Can anyone point out or better yet a picture of the differances between a Cameo and a Deep Cameo? I got a 2004s in circulation, still shiny but not cleaned. does have some "bag" marks, but certain to say it is no longer considered a proof. Do these have any value?

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New2Brass said:
Can anyone point out or better yet a picture of the differances between a Cameo and a Deep Cameo? I got a 2004s in circulation, still shiny but not cleaned. does have some "bag" marks, but certain to say it is no longer considered a proof. Do these have any value?

The coin is still a proof because it was struck with specially prepared dies, and not with business strike dies that are used doe coins in 2004 mint sets or sold in rolls at the mint. Cameo refers to the white or frosty appearance of Kennedy's bust, the letters, numbers and the Eagle on the reverse. A 2004 proof would be Deep Cameo, but with bag marks, it's only worth about a dollar. It's still a nice circulation find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions