1898 Barber Quarter

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug an 1898 barber while MDing. I took it and a few IH cents to a local coin shop. The guy said they were worth $3.50. I scooped them up and said, "no thanks". I was really just looking to find out more about them. I did learn to focus more upon key dates but, since my knowledge of coins is lacking will you folks please suggest some literature so that I may learn the basics of key dates, values, # of minted, etc.? I enjoy the history behind the "treasures" but, would just like to be able to tell if I'd found something valuable and to be able to assist others. Thanks! ~JEREMY~

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
Check out this site for values: http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml

Note: coin value charts are just guidelines and not set in stone
Typically dug coins are going to have environmental damage which reduces their value. Also, if you clean them much at all, it will hurt their value. (Especially rubbing the coins). Check out this site for grading them: http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/

The price guide on the pcgs site is of use too, but it is intended for pcgs slabbed coins. Their prices tend to be overinflated. Checking eBay auctions can be a good way to check prices, also you could look into getting the Gray Sheet. Most people tend to view it as being one of the best price guides. You are allowed to get one free weekly newsletter from their website. (Mine is on it's way, actually).

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Buy a Red Book. You don't have to buy it every year. At the beginning of each section, they point out certain features/details that define each grade. Looking at the listings, you can also ascertain the Key Dates by mintage figures and graded valuation.

OP
OP
JOHUNT

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent! Great info! Thank you. Now I just need more coinage. I would never even consider selling a coin especially from the 1800's for just the metal content ($3.50?). Although the 1898 barber might not be too rare; it's the only one in my collection and it's more than welcome to stay there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions