EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to go under an old Victorian to do some plumbing repairs. Among other things, I found this Seated Liberty dollar buried in about 3 inches of super dry dust and dirt. I uncovered it while moving around and wouldn't have noticed it, but I was looking for a place to put a roll of plumbers tape. This happened about 4 years ago. Today, I pulled it out of my little box to look at it and noticed what appears to be beads of silver on three of the stars on the reverse. Now, my curiosity is getting to me.

Is this a common error for this coin?? Sorry about the quality, I'm still learning this macro bit. Eagle

Attachments

• P3060019.JPG
    P3060019.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 819
  • P3060017.JPG
    P3060017.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 821
  • P3060018.JPG
    P3060018.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 832

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe that's the Plumber's Flux drops variety. ;D Na, looks a little too good.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I'm no expert, but I think it's a fake. The date looks a little off, and I don't see LIBERTY on the shield.

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
This is definitely a copy and/or counterfeit. The Liberty is missing from the shield and the silver plating is wearing off.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
100% counterfeit. Sorry for the bad news. If it's a very old counterfeit, it could still be worth something to a collector of period "bogus" coins. If it's a modern fake, it's not likely to be worth much. Seated dollars are one of the most counterfeited of all US coin types. Just check eBay for "reproductions" and "copies" and you'll quickly see what I mean.

Edited to add: one quick way to tell it's not real is that the word "LIBERTY" does not appear on the shield, as pointed out by testing123; the lines pass directly from top to bottom. Another way to tell is that the digits in the date are the wrong style, for those familiar with the type. I wonder if it's a period counterfeit that was placed in the house to mark its date of construction?

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
testing123 said:
I'm no expert, but I think it's a fake. The date looks a little off, and I don't see LIBERTY on the shield.

This is definitely a copy and/or counterfeit. The Liberty is missing from the shield and the silver plating is wearing off.

Swell. Here I thought I finally had something worth showing. After looking at the flaws you guys pointed out, I also found some myself. The inner edge beading was pretty good until it got near her left foot. Looks like got tired of beads and started making lines. :laughing7:

Also, when I turned it over to check the reverse, it's upside down. Whoops! Also, it only weighs 21.7 Grams, compared to a "Real Morgan" @ 26.3 grams. (At least it looks and sounds real.)

Well, I never collected coins for their intrinsic value. I just spend them. :laughing9: :laughing9:

Thanks all, for pointing out that it's fake. I would have been mortified if I had gone into Mike's Coin Shop to try to sell it. :dontknow: :o

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rodgerdodger said:
See if a magnet will pick it up.
That's one of the first things I did. Nope, some other type of base metal. (I used strong rare earth magnets.)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rhedden said:
100% counterfeit. Edited to add: one quick way to tell it's not real is that the word "LIBERTY" does not appear on the shield, as pointed out by testing123; the lines pass directly from top to bottom. Another way to tell is that the digits in the date are the wrong style, for those familiar with the type. I wonder if it's a period counterfeit that was placed in the house to mark its date of construction?
Well, it was fun for awhile. I'm just glad I didn't sell it to some unsuspecting stranger.

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ewcoinhunter said:
Fake, but either way a neat find! Congrats!

Thanks ewcoinhunter!! I guess I'll have to get a book on old coins so I don't feel so silly the next time I post something. :sad11: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Eagle

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they there money is stolen with the use of a computer,than at gun point.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
its pretty cool to find a counterfiet. I'd tell Mikes coin shop just how special it was :P

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EagleDown,,,,you've got the right attitude. Glad that you found it. And, glad that you didn't sell it to someone who might
not ask the right questions, but just assume, and count on it for a rainy day.
You keep hunting under Victorian homes, and you'll run on to a bunch of somethings that are not counterfeit.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
minton7 said:
goes to show.. there have always been crooks... neat find none the less
Yeah, I bet the first man was born with a nefarious agenda. :laughing9: :laughing9:

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlene said:
its pretty cool to find a counterfiet. I'd tell Mikes coin shop just how special it was :P
Thanks Charlene!! Not a bad idea (maybe.) I just spent over an hour in ebay and various sites and can find no reference to this particular coin. So far, the only "Replicas" I've found for the 1961 have a mint mark, and a CSA reverse. This "Rep" has no mint mark and the reverse is pretty much the same as the real one.

Hey, maybe I have a Very Rare Replica! :laughing9:

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
EagleDown,,,,you've got the right attitude. Glad that you found it. And, glad that you didn't sell it to someone who might
not ask the right questions, but just assume, and count on it for a rainy day.
You keep hunting under Victorian homes, and you'll run on to a bunch of somethings that are not counterfeit.
I already did hikeinmts. After I found the Replica, out of curiosity I started looking around. I found a complete assembly for a gas light. (Swing-out pipes, etc.) The only thing missing was the glass flame shield. Unfortunately, I turned 75 this Jan. and don't really intend to crawl around under anymore houses. (I retired Jan. 1st, 2011.)

This house was built in about 1891, primarilly as a boarding house for the rail road. I'm positive the yard has not been detected and I was told, any time I wanted. But, I can't find a metal detecting partner around here. And frankly, I guess I've come to the point that it's not so much fun detecting alone. (Nobody to brag to!) :laughing7: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions