1962 "D" Franklin Half possible undocumented error? * UPDATED PICS* DOUBLED DIE!

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
Re: 1962 "D" Franklin Half possible undocumented error? * UPDATED PICS*

Marchas45 said:
prospectordamon said:
if its plated then wouldn't it be thicker than any other franklin? if so its not any thicker than the others, i dont have a polished coin to compare it to but i have seen them before and "in person" it just doesnt look quite like a polished coin. i got a tip from someone here to source other opinions, if i dont get to the bottom of this who could i send it off to to get it figured out? (not sure if pcgs does this or only grades coins) thanks for all the help!

I PM'ed you a link to go to. Those guys are experts give them a try. I've also sent coins to them and two have been featured in Coin Error magazine which some of these guys write for. :icon_scratch:

I signed up, waiting on approval to post

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It wouldn't be thicker just because it's plated. The lesser detail in the photos points to it being plated.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

prospectordamon said:
l.cutler said:
It is just a normal Franklin half, PCGS would either grade it or return it as cleaned , which I am pretty sure would be the case. I am not quite sure what you may be looking for beyond that.

I wouldn't waste anyone's time on this forum if I felt it was truly a "normal Franklin Half", you go from a new set of dies, to polished, to "normal Franklin Half" which is it? I have been a numismatist for many years and have seen all kinds but nothing like this. Thanks for all of the comments!
Sorry, not trying to ruffle any feathers, you asked for opinions, I gave mine. I see nothing that indicates anything other than a normal Franklin half. If there is mint luster present which it is hard to tell, it may be a strike from a new pair of dies. If there is no mint luster then I think it has been improperly cleaned. After seeing the updated photos I would definitely lean toward improperly cleaned. Either way I just see a normal Franklin half, no undocumented error, nothing unusual. Again I am not claiming to be an expert, I have collected Franklins for several years but there is always more to learn. Seeing photos is not the same as seeing a coin in hand, so photos is all I can base an opinion on. Definitely get it checked out.

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used

ill do that, thanks cutler!!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hope it turns out to be a good one. I primarily collect colonials but I have always liked Franklins. I recently completed my Franklin set but I am now thinking of upgrading some. I went cheap on my 49-s and now I am not happy with it. Off to a coin show next weekend, if there are no good Connecticut coppers or Rosa Americanas I may look for one.

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Re: 1962 "D" Franklin Half possible undocumented error? * UPDATED PICS* DOUBLE DIE!!

upon further examination with a loupe, i noticed it looks like a double-stamped "D" mintmark, i have included a picture of the double-die and a pic of a regular 63-D

Mule Coin 1962 "D"
f8d7af95.jpg

7c68f842.jpg

Regular Mint State 1963 "D"
a260fda4.jpg

fixing to add pics of a new find on the "P" in "E PLURIBUS UNUM"

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Re: 1962 "D" Franklin Half possible undocumented error? * UPDATED PICS* DOUBLE DIE!!

here is a pic of the "P" in "E PLURIBUS UNUM" the hole in the "P" is sticking out like a bubble and not recessed in like a normal "P" should be, also is a pic of a squiggly line that is not recessed like a scratch should be and is raised. is it possible the reverse die was totally messed up on this coin? this could better prove the fact that it is unique being a mirror look.

1962 "D" Mule bubble "P"
6466c37c.jpg

11a4aeab.jpg

1963 Mint State Regular "P"
0e22331e.jpg

squiggly line
1d4fcccb.jpg

this line is not recessed like a scratch, it is raised above the field of the coin

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Die chip in the "P". The rest is mechanical doubling. Just to note, it would be a doubled die, not double.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used

enamel7 said:
Die chip in the "P". The rest is mechanical doubling. Just to note, it would be a doubled die, not double.
HH
enamel7

Sweet! that covers the "P" any ideas on the on the doubled "D" and the squiggly line? Does this Die chip in the "P" add any value? I have yet to find another one similar via google. Thanks for the quick response enamel!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1962 "D" Franklin Half possible undocumented error? * UPDATED PICS* DOUBLED DIE!

The D is just MD. The line your talking about is above the word "dollar" I assume. This looks like it took a hit from the reeded edge of another coin. If it is raised like you say I think this adds to the theory of the coin being plated.

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Re: 1962 "D" Franklin Half possible undocumented error? * UPDATED PICS* DOUBLED DIE!

enamel7 said:
The D is just MD. The line your talking about is above the word "dollar" I assume. This looks like it took a hit from the reeded edge of another coin. If it is raised like you say I think this adds to the theory of the coin being plated.

ill take a closer look with better lighting in the morning, i haven't takin it out of the book since ive noticed these finds, ill take it out tomorrow and rub it lightly with my cotton gloves on to definitely see if its recessed or not, if you were to value this coin with the MD and die chip, what would you say it's worth? priceless? unique or just another junk error? thanks

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Junk error, unless you find someone that collects die chips. A small premium at best.

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used

enamel7 said:
Junk error, unless you find someone that collects die chips. A small premium at best.

thanks!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Enamel pretty well covered it. The D and the squiggly line could also be from die wear or damage. Seeing that, I was definitely wrong about maybe being from new dies, apparently they were getting pretty well worn out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread