silver coins on the rise???

fishaddicit

Feb 9, 2011
Oahu, Hawaii
Just trying to get an idea/thought from the forum. With the price of silver going up do you expect the value of coins to go up as well in the next 5-10 years? I refuse to sell off sets just for the quick buck...or few bucks.. but honestly, with the amount of people selling there "scrap" coins and millions of OZ. being used yearly how does the future of collections look?

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Uh if silver goes up so will the value of silver coins obviously. If you are asking if the numismatic value will catch up with the silver value of them then the simple answer is not at the rate silver is climbing. As always rare key dates values will always go up as time goes by and there are less of them being traded.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think we'll see a numismatic value increase commensurate with that of a bullion value for common date coins. Rare dates will always be rare and will follow a trend of their own.

A lot of the 90% silver goes into bulk bags, rather than actual melting, and when/if prices come back down we will see plenty of the common dates again priced from a numismatic perspective. Although higher grades will get harder to find due to the bulk handling.

"Common" US gold coins I think will tell a different story in the long run. I've personally seen a lot of late 19th and early 20th century US gold go right to the melt pot. Some I can save depending on who the owner is but there has been so much of it, and the price so high that the amount one person can save from being melted is just a small percentage. Then if you can save coins from being melted you need to find a buyer and many don't want to pay over melt, so the cycle continues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread