Why do you collect coins?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I know this sounds like a crazy question to ask, but I just want to learn why people collect coins.

I like old coins, and have grown more and more appreciative of them as the years have passed. I've become very attached to the silver finds I've made CRHing, but basically because we search as a family, and each coin find tells a little story.

Is it the beauty of vintage coins? The value? Trying to fill up a book? The history?

I'd also like to know if you are passionate about one genre of coin collecting. Are you passionate about gold coins? US coins? Foreign coins?

Just trying to learn a little more about the coin hobby...

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collected as a kid in the mid 60's, but money was tight. Never had much to collect with and checking pocket change then was tough with little change. Then when I started metal detecting I got all fired up again and have made many purchases. My passion lays with silver (wish I still had all the silver I had when I was young), and my fav is silver eagles and then all others. Hope to get the grandkids interested so i'll have someone to give them to when I'm toooooooo old. Just hope they will appreciate the hobby.

fccdfed

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I'm 35, and I started collecting about 10 years ago. I think it had to do with my move from an agricultural related field to a history related one. Each type of coin has its own history, which is why I like the World Coins in addition to the ones from the good ol' USA. I used to like tracking the intrinsic value of the silver ones until lately :(

I'm particularly fond of Mexican Coins. I find it intriguing that a country that is thought of as being so poor kept on minting gold coins for circulation long after the US stopped doing so in 1933 when FDR had his gold crackdown. I know the Mexican Mint kept on churning out gold coins for circulation until at least 1945. I just guess there is no middle class down there or something because they seem to be able to produce plenty of precious metals...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only collect what I find and like everything about the experience. I like the coin for the history of it, the history of the context for which I found it, and the memories of digging it up. I also do a little coin buying and selling of just about everything you can imagine... from Spanish gold, to Roman, to an indian head penny, and everything and anything in between. I can actually do this on a high enough level to fund a decent collection but I choose not to. I think coins, at least what I like are quite pricey, and since they mean so much less than my finds I can't justify spending a large amount of money on them. That said, I have developed a weakness for watches which might be even worse, but I am dealing with that as best I can. :) I am someone who doesn't mind having lots of stuff but am not really the type of person who collects. Now if I won enough money that I could spend what I want and not care that would make the entire difference, and would be a ton of fun. (but probably still wouldn't compare to digging something up)

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for the replies everyone!

I think my draw to old coins is the bullion content. It sure is cool looking at the old silver, even though I don't much.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only collect what I dig. I never sell my finds as I am very attached after all I rescued them from oblivion they are my trophies of all my research and hard work. I do however like looking at the collections of others to see what I might dig someday.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As a kid in the 50s, I was fascinated by the coins my dad would empty from his pockets each night. Soon, I started to collect them. I was fascinated by their images and dates: IHs , V nickels, buffs, SL’s, Morgans were still in circulation !! The turning point was the 64 Kennedy halves; I bought ten rolls then saved everything for nearly 50 years—till earlier this year when I started selling or giving some to the local coin club for the kids and door prizes. Today, I enjoy researching, learning and sharing with others the history behind the finds made by TN-ers.
Don...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread