All Treasure Hunting

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
suprdave said:
found a 1972 d half its gold in color with 1960 above the in god and 1985 above the we trust. has anyone seen a coin like this sure could use some help identifing it. wish i could send out a picture but not able to as of yet. suprdave
If coin is as you state, it has 3 separate dates, not 2.

I have not heard of it.

I also have not heard of any "gold" colored half dollar, unless it has been plated after striking.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
It would seem someone modified a 1972 Kennedy half to commemorate some event or could have been given to someone as a presentation piece. Not really worth anything, just interesting. Post a picture when you can.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
These are commonly found in the Coin Roll Hunting group. They are the product of a 3rd party company that counterstamped ordinary clad halves and gold plated them. The dates represent the 25th anniversary of his inauguration. There are other counterstamped dates that commemorate the 20th anniversary, etc. They were sold at exorbitant prices to the public. When the public realized that they have trash, then they release them into the wild for face value. Here is a thread that has an old advertisement attached:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=147852.0

OP
OP
suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the thread diver down, interesting how people make a lot of money by not having to work suprdave

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
suprdave said:
thanks for the thread diver down, interesting how people make a lot of money by not having to work suprdave

Are you talking about the Novelty Coin Scam Artists or the Coin Roll Hunters? Let me say, there is plenty of work in Coin Roll Hunting.

OP
OP
suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was talking about the novelty coin business. did 2 boxes of halves this morning with no silver so i understand the hard work and my dump bank is 45 miles round trip from me , but cant wait until my next 2 boxes come in suprdave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread