possible 1970 S small date

skidboot

Mar 31, 2011
So I got this penny, and I noticed the mint was an S and not a D or P....so I looked it up online. Then I see that it could possibly be a coin worth keeping! :headbang: So, I get excited and I take it to my local coin dealer. I explain my new found hobby and the penny that I had. Before even seeing it, I hear the response "it's worth a penny!" Then another worker proceeded to tell me that, "yea she's right, it could be a small date or large date." He then looks at it. He tells me its a large date. He barely looked at it thru the magnifier and didnt offer me a look. From my research, I really do think my date lines up for a small date. Also, the LIBERTY is kinda weak, I guess.... The guy then tells me, "even if it was a small date, unless its uncirculated its worth only face value." Is this true? Should I take it somewhere else? I felt kinda belittled by this coin shop....are they all rude like this? I wish I could take a picture of my coin, but my cell phone and magnifying glass dont work so well together :icon_scratch:...I'm gonna retry a picture with my digital camera and see if I can get it that way.

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
I search a lot of pennies and my rule is that if I think that it is worth keeping, then I do. You only paid 1 cent for the penny so if you keep it for 5 mins or 20 years, it will always be worth at least what you paid for it. Some coin shop guys are jerks, they probably get guys coming in all the time thinking they found a penny or a nickel that is worth ten grand. If the coin is in good shape then definitely keep it. There are other coin shops out there, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread