l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it would be worth it. While the detail is very nice there appears to be something going on with the surfaces, light pitting or something and then cleaned maybe? This usually starts something, but my opinion is that having a coin slabbed does not increase the value, it is still the same coin. It may make it easier to sell at a given price, particularly sight unseen but does not really increase the value.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I look at it I think there are bigger problems with this coin. It doesn't look right.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people will pay more for professionally graded and slabbed coins. I think this coin was harshly cleaned and most grading services will not grade cleaned coins.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure I would have this coin graded - now, grading changes by the age - meaning, a VF in a coin from the 1900's has to be a better coin than a VF from the 1800's.

Not grading a cleaned coin is incorrect - they will grade a cleaned coin - however, it will state that it has been cleaned, and you are going to get a lower grade, based on that.

http://www.ngccoin.com/details/improperly-cleaned-coins.aspx

In the future, you can join certain grading services, and get free grading on 1-3 coins (depending on who it is), for the price of your membership fee.

PCGS does this - you get 2 coins graded for joining.

http://www.pcgs.com/

Beth

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If by "body-bagged" you mean tossed into a bag and not graded - then, no - but, if you go to the site I posted, you will find some that have been cleaned, graded - and they really knock down the grading on it AND, they write on the info that it has been cleaned.

Here is another couple of slabbed coins - you will see that it says "cleaned" and "improperly cleaned" - but they are graded and slabbed.

http://www.coinnews.net/2008/09/18/dgs-authenticates-grades-rare-lafayette-dollar-variety-4355/

http://www.collectingsilvercoins.com/1928-peace-silver-dollar-ngc-uncirculated-details/

Beth

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
captainfwiffo said:
I've heard cleaned coins usually get "body bagged", is that not the case?

PCGS does not grade cleaned coins. They will body bag it and send it back. If you want the coin slabbed by PCGS, then they will do this even for cleaned coins. It will get the designation "Genuine" but no grade.

For the original poster, the coin has been cleaned. The surfaces are showing strong porosity patterns as if it suffered environmental damage. Excellent detail, but I don't think you will realize a return on your investment with regards to grading.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For PCGS - they will put a number on the slab - they have a numbering system that says what the issue is.

However, that is NOT true for all grading companies. (which was my point - the reason I put up the PCGS site is for reference to getting a couple of free services for joining).

If you look at this coin, graded by NCG, you will see that it IS slabbed, it IS graded (unc), but gives details about being cleaned improperly.

It depends on the grader you use.

cleaned graded coin by NGC.jpg

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Beth, sorry to be a stickler, but "Unc" is not a grade. ANACS will grade a cleaned coin. They are the only one of the "big 3" that grade a cleaned coin.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:

You are welcome to be a "stickler" all you want - I know that AU and UNC, and VF are all grades. And, I also know, that some grading companies grade cleaned coins.

Some do it with numbers, some do it with "codes" - but, there are still some that do it. Just because you have not seen it - or their website says they don't - doesn't mean they don't.

Also - just as an aside - some companies HAVE changed their policies, so you can sometimes get an older "slabbed and graded" coin from a known
grader, when, they would not do it now. (though, I cannot see where I said any or all of the "big 3" in my statement).

But, did you know that NCG actually USES a cleaning service? NCS to be exact.

Also, in regards to PCGS in particular - they DO body-bag - but it is for coins with what they consider MAJOR problems.

PCGS (Professional Coin Grading Service)
800-447-8848

* PCGS-graded coins have highest retail value of any grading company, according to the Coin Dealer Newsletter.
* Along with NGC, rated "superior" in a 2004 survey of PNG (Professional Numismatists Guild) and ICTA (Industry Council for Tangible Assets) members in terms of grading accuracy and ability to detect altered, repaired, damaged, cleaned, and counterfeit coins. Along with NGC, rated "superior" in a 2006 PNG survey (no service was rated "outstanding").
* Rated the least consistent service of eight major services (others were NGC, ANACS, ICG, SEGS, PCI, ACG, and NTC) in a 2003 study by Coin World. PCGS's lack of consistency may be deliberate or not, but it has the effect of encouraging repeat submissions of the same coin, which generate more revenue for it.
* Coins in older slabs generally graded more conservatively and worth more. Newest PCGS slabs have blue label; green label older; dot-matrix printed label older still. Detailed breakdown with approximate dates:

3/02-date: Light blue label, with barcode, with coin and series numbers
1/99-2/02: Light blue label, no barcode, with coin and series number
11/98-12/98: Light blue label, no barcode, no coin and series numbers
Mid 1995-11/98: Green label, serial number starts at right of left edge of barcode
1/90-mid 1995: Green (yellow through blue), label serial number starts at left of left edge of barcode
11/89-12/89: Slab within frame, doily label
9/89-11/89: Slab within frame, off-white label
1986-9/89: Small slabs

* Net grades (lowers a coin's grade for minor problems) but does not note it on the holder.
* Bodybags (doesn't grade) problem coins (major problems) -- no refund of fee.
* With regular service, coins are initially graded by two graders independent of one another. If there's disagreement, a third grader grades the coin. If the third grader agrees with one of the other two graders, the coin receives that grade. If not, sometimes the grading is averaged, sometimes the graders reevaluate the coin. After these initial evaluations, the grading of the coin-in-slab is verified. Between 2% and 4% of coins are regraded at this point. A final verification ensures that slab insert information is correct.
* Charges $30 for pre-1970 coins for 30-day turnaround, plus shipping and insurance.
* You can submit coins to be graded through one of its authorized dealers or by joining the PCGS Collectors Club.

* Guarantee: PCGS, unlike NGC, ANACS, ICG, and SEGS, is not specific about its guarantee at its Web site. On the phone, a customer service rep said if you buy a PCGS-graded coin and feel PCGS overgraded it, you can submit it to PCGS for re-examination. Unlike with NGC and ICG, however, you're charged the regular grading fee for this re-examination. If PCGS determines that the actual grade is lower than the grade on the slab, it will work with you, either paying you the difference between the fair market value of the coin at the re-examination grade and the fair market value at the grade originally assigned by PCGS or buying the coin outright from you.

ANACS website FAQ:

Does ANACS certify “problem coins”?
Yes. ANACS is the first major grading service to grade cleaned, corroded, damaged, repaired, and other "problem coins". Label's display a coin’s "detail grade" and the coin’s corresponding problem(s). “Details” Graded coins are not eligible for the ANACS Guarantee.

Beth

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
mrs.oroblanco said:
:laughing7:

You are welcome to be a "stickler" all you want - I know that AU and UNC, and VF are all grades. And, I also know, that some grading companies grade cleaned coins.

Some do it with numbers, some do it with "codes" - but, there are still some that do it. Just because you have not seen it - or their website says they don't - doesn't mean they don't.

Beth, I'm not sure why you are laughing. Any numismatist knows that Unc (Uncirculated) is not a grade. The same as Circulated is not a grade. They are just a category. According to American Numismatic Association, there are 13 grades for circulated coins. For uncirculated coins, they consider grades in 1 point increments from MS-60 to MS-70.

These codes that you refer to are their inventory system for reference. They are not a grade.

The original poster wanted to know about grading not just slabbing services.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was laughing because you said you hate to be a "stickler". It doesn't bother me if someone is a stickler - thought it was funny.

Since you seem to be taking this personal - and you didn't bother to acknowledge any actual "evidence", like from websites, and, because one of the first things I said is that, personally, I would not bother - I'll just make this my last post on the subject, except to say that - most topics don't involve just one single aspect of something. When sending in a coin, grading, slabbing, etc., go hand in hand.

Beth

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
l.cutler said:
The more I look at it I think there are bigger problems with this coin. It doesn't look right.
I believe so too, but can verbalize that problem. Might make the coin more valuable even.

Coin appears to be struck off-center. Also appears to have partial doubling in the rim (upper right obverse).

Don't know whether that would make this particular coin more valuable, though. Many US coins struck before 1850 have similar issues.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rooter,

Are you suggesting that ANACS is participating in false advertising? Or that they don't know what they do?

Beth

ANACS website FAQ:

Yes. ANACS is the first major grading service to grade cleaned, corroded, damaged, repaired, and other "problem coins". Label's display a coin’s "detail grade" and the coin’s corresponding problem(s). “Details” Graded coins are not eligible for the ANACS Guarantee.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
mrs.oroblanco said:
Rooter,

Are you suggesting that ANACS is participating in false advertising? Or that they don't know what they do?

Beth

ANACS website FAQ:

Geez, Beth. You seem to be the one taking this personal. Rooter chimed in stating that everything I said is correct. In fact, if you re-read the thread, you will note that in the 12th post that I mentioned that ANACS is the only one of the big 3 to "grade" a coin. In post 13, you highlight (in blue) the same fact. Now, in your final post, you are insinuating that Rooter by agreeing with my statements that it somehow made your statements incorrect. My only disagreement with you is the premise that "Uncirculated" is a grade. No such grade when it comes to numismatics.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Diver Dan is again correct is what he has stated. Basically the only TPG's that carry any weight are NGC and PCGS. ANACS saw an excellent business opportunity in grading coins that would otherwise be bodybaged. Why would you want a coin slabbed as damaged, cleaned, or corroded with XX details? (unless it's very rare and you need proof that it is "genuine")

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread