Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a 1996-s proof half dollar last box searched- sorry about the other coin in the picture, the 1987 is also a hard coin to come by because they were only put into mint sets and never released for circulation. Someone had to break the proof out of a proof set for it to come into circulation and someone also had to break open the 1987 mint set for the coin to end up in circulation.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• pic7.jpg
    pic7.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 852
  • pic7.jpg
    pic7.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 838

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBoy said:
I got a 1996-s proof half dollar last box searched- sorry about the other coin in the picture, the 1987 is also a hard coin to come by because they were only put into mint sets and never released for circulation. Someone had to break the proof out of a proof set for it to come into circulation and someone also had to break open the 1987 mint set for the coin to end up in circulation.

Not entirely sure, but I think dealers can order proof halves rolls from the mint. Maybe someone can tell me for sure.
HH
enamel7

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
enamel7 said:
BuffaloBoy said:

Not entirely sure, but I think dealers can order proof halves rolls from the mint. Maybe someone can tell me for sure.
HH
enamel7

Perhaps in the past (in the 70's or 80's), it was an option. But today, dealer's buy the same proof set that you and I do.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy, Here is a 1988 S Proof quarter I recieved in change at Safeway , well it was a proof . The 1957 D penny I believe, was a proof also .I recevied it in change from Pizza Hut.Both coins I recevied in 2 days about 6 months ago. HH

Attachments

• 100_3295.JPG
    100_3295.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 626
  • 100_3296.JPG
    100_3296.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 635
  • 100_3304.JPG
    100_3304.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 630
  • 100_3302.JPG
    100_3302.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 636
OP
OP
C

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the wheat penny is not a proof proof's are made at san francisco in 1957 they did not put s on their proof coins.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things are getting a little mixed up here, proofs were only made in Philadelphia until 1968 or so, then they were made in San Francisco. San Francisco always used the s mintmark on proof and circulating coinage.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
There were a lot of proof coins circulating in the Salem Ma area in the early 80's,
I busted open several dozen cases that were left to me as a child & spent them randomly.. ::)

OP
OP
C

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:
Things are getting a little mixed up here, proofs were only made in Philadelphia until 1968 or so, then they were made in San Francisco. San Francisco always used the s mintmark on proof and circulating coinage.

i was just talking about his wheat penny. i dont think it is proof.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, proof coinage was not made in Denver in 1957, only Philadelphia.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steelheadwill said:
There were a lot of proof coins circulating in the Salem Ma area in the early 80's,
I busted open several dozen cases that were left to me as a child & spent them randomly.. ::)

Guess I'll start hanging around the New Hampshire area just incase you decide to spend that sweet gold coin you found. ::) :laughing7:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
mainer said:
steelheadwill said:

Guess I'll start hanging around the New Hampshire area just incase you decide to spend that sweet gold coin you found. ::) :laughing7:
:laughing9: It's buried deeper than when I found it :laughing9:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steelheadwill said:
mainer said:
steelheadwill said:

I just ordered a E-trac off Mike. Better be buried deep. :icon_pirat: ;D Take care Herbie. :thumbsup:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
mainer said:
steelheadwill said:
mainer said:
steelheadwill said:

I just ordered a E-trac off Mike. Better be buried deep. :icon_pirat: ;D Take care Herbie. :thumbsup:
Mike at Woodlanddetectors is the man to see :wink:
Not that deep, but there's a lot of acreage, better get a big coil :laughing7:

Apologies for hijacking your post....

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
steelheadwill said:

That's funny... I'm from salem. I lived there until 1992.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's funny... I lived at Heritage drive apartments from 85-90. I spent a lot of drunken days and nights at gallows hill.

When did you graduate high school? I'm class of 1989.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread