• seated liberty roll.jpg
    seated liberty roll.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,344

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Arizona Bob said:
I got these a few years ago. What do you think they are worth now? (The backs are similar in condition to the fronts.) Are they worth more as melt? or should I hang on to them due to age/scarcity?

Without knowing mintmarks (found on the reverse - above "Half Dol."), one can only assume they are readily available larger mintages. For example, the 1870 is a $30 coin but if it is a CC then it is an $850. That being said, you might want to list any mintmarks that are discernible. That being said, most of the coins would grade Good which would ballpark $30. A few (the 61 and 62) would grade Fine placing them in the $50 range. A few (57, 62, and 73(closed 3) are borderline About Good to Good.

To answer your question: They are worth more than melt do to age/scarcity. Silver would have to reach $85/ounce for your coins to be worth more to melt. Even then, you will find some collector ( :hello: ) who would buy them from you at a premium above melt to save them from the smelter. Hope that helps.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Arizona Bob said:
Thanx Diver_Down. Yeah, the only one that is a CC is the 1877. :(

Well, double check the mintmarks. In some instances, the New Orleans is the more commonly available coin. In others, the San Fran is the more available coin. Some fall into the trap and think that the Philly issues were all common, but that isn't the case. I would be interested in knowing the breakdown of the coins.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with DD; I have bought seats in that condition for $30 ea, and you have a few that are nicer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread