Coins purchased today

Jasonstar94

Feb 23, 2011
I got 29 war nickels (35% silver) for 1 dollar each. I also got 10 40% silver kennedy halves for 4 dollars each. I also noticed another full roll of war nickels there for 1 dollar a piece. I know I got an excellent deal based on the current melt value for the war nickels. Should I go back and buy the other 40 war nickels since apmex buys them for $1.50 each and that their current melt value is $1.90 each?

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jasonstar94 said:
I got 29 war nickels (35% silver) for 1 dollar each. I also got 10 40% silver kennedy halves for 4 dollars each. I also noticed another full roll of war nickels there for 1 dollar a piece. I know I got an excellent deal based on the current melt value for the war nickels. Should I go back and buy the other 40 war nickels since apmex buys them for $1.50 each and that their current melt value is $1.90 each?

Did you really just ask this question?

OP
OP
Jasonstar94

Jasonstar94

Feb 23, 2011
FreedomUIC said:
Jasonstar94 said:

Did you really just ask this question?

Yes I did and I would like to see your response to it :)

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice score though war nics do contain silver, they are not in as much demans as a 1964 or older half dollar, but you got yourself a good deal!! Go back and buy the rest. As to the 40% halves, silver is at ~$34.00/oz making them worth $5. With silver being as it is right now, steady, I would hold off and look for super deals on silver because nobody knows if it will raise or drop in the next few days. hh!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
APMEX is indeed paying ~$1.52 each for war nickels. However, per their website, that is their buy price for transactions exceeding $10,000. I have never dealt with them, but I assume they pay less for smaller amounts. Plus with the cost of certified mail and insurance, you'd come out in the hole unless you had quite a bit more to sell.

However, $1 each is way below spot, and you could probably get that $1.50 each on eBay, Craigslist, or right here on this forum. I wouldn't surprise me if you got even more than that. I'd buy ANYTHING that I thought I could flip for an instant 50%+ profit.

OP
OP
Jasonstar94

Jasonstar94

Feb 23, 2011
ArkieBassMan said:
APMEX is indeed paying ~$1.52 each for war nickels. However, per their website, that is their buy price for transactions exceeding $10,000. I have never dealt with them, but I assume they pay less for smaller amounts. Plus with the cost of certified mail and insurance, you'd come out in the hole unless you had quite a bit more to sell.

However, $1 each is way below spot, and you could probably get that $1.50 each on eBay, Craigslist, or right here on this forum. I wouldn't surprise me if you got even more than that. I'd buy ANYTHING that I thought I could flip for an instant 50%+ profit.

Some people are bidding 170 dollars for 100 war nickels on ebay and the auction has not ended yet.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Jasonstar94 said:

If you don't buy them, I most certainly will.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread