1943 D steel cent
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    May 2007
    Bremerton, WA
    1 times

1943 D steel cent

I thought these were worth more than 25 cents? I could swear I've heard of them going for at least 600

Was I misinformed long ago, or did something change?
    The bad thing about having frizzy hair AND the ability to see dead people:  Sometimes, that dead person is just a frizzy hair in your peripheral vision.  Sometimes, that frizzy hair in your peripheral vision doesn't go away when you move it.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    1749 times

Re: 1943 D steel cent

In circulated grades with no corrosion, you might realize 25 cents each. The problem is that there are plenty of uncirculated examples for the coin collecting community to choose from as many people at the time squirreled them away due to their novelty. From a collector's point of view, why would you settle for a circulated grade when you could get a uncirculated example for very little cost?

The large value you reference is probably related to the 1943 copper cent. Some were struck on the wrong planchet, but very few left the Mint. Some, genuine specimens have sold for more than $10,000. There are numerous fakes ranging from copper-plated steel cents to 1948 cents with the 8 cut in half.

Sponsored Links