Coin Values

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Find yourself a copy of the Guidebook to United States Coins. It is published annually, but for your initial purposes, a several-year-old copy will do just fine. They can often be found on the cheap at thrift stores, used book stores, or online. It is commonly called the "Red Book" and has a wealth of information regarding the history of US coinage, mintages (which is a large factor in determining value - and it doesn't change over time), plus descriptions of what you are looking at: where to find mintmarks, varieties, grading, etc. Then, if you have a coin for which you really want to find a value, you will be educated on what you have and will then be able to do a better online search.
John in ID

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
The Red Book should be in every coinshooters arsenal. If you are looking for realistic "sell prices, say, to a dealer, pick up the Blue Book. It is basically an over the counter wholesale book. Usually can be found wherever they sell the Red Book. If you start finding really odd stuff, your library will grow! We used to be coin dealers, and let me tell you, the books never end. And yes we still have them all. :help:

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I have copies of Whitman Red Books spanning from 1956-present. I am thinning out every copy except the 1972 "silver anniversary" edition and the new 2012 edition.

I'll send you one from 1976 for free if you want Pops. It's worth about $3.00 so I won't be taking too big a loss on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread