Where to get coins graded?

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Hi all. My mother-in-law has a tote bag, yes tote bag, full of coins, in protective cases, that her father collected. He died in the early 80's and I just found out about them. I don't want anyone taking advantage of her as she wants to get them all graded. They are locked away and she is going to get them soon. (I promise to show pictures). Now, they may all be crap, but I don't think so. She will possibly sell some of them. Her crazy relative (not me) said to take them to some guy she knows, who owns some shop, somewhere. Nope, I'm letting her do that. I want her to get them professionally, and correctly graded.
So, my question is, where to go? I know of PCGS, and expect they are top notch, but would like to know all of your opinions on this. I am no coin person. I am learning, but really need sound advice for her.
Thanks all for your help and happy hunting!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Professional grading is not cheap, and may cost more than the value of the coin.
Suggestion: From your local book or coin store, buy the Official Red Book ('A Guide Book of United States Coins') and do your own research. Then go on to Ebay ('Completed Transactions') to see what coins similar to yours are really selling for. If you find an exceptional coin, visit the grading company sites to ascertain their cost. Grading is subjective and (IMO) the criteria used by the various grading companies varies. Yes, PCGS is one of the top notch grading services.
When you post them here, I'm sure you'll get many opinions as to whether or not they justify being professionally graded.
Don.......

OP
OP
littlebill31

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Thanks all!!
I planned to check them all out and ask which ones should be professionally graded and which were not worth it. Her father, you died in '85, also had an amazing gun collection. Not wanting "guns in the house", and not knowing what they were worth, they sold the collection after his wife passed away. I saw some pictures and most of the guns were pre-1900, including a LaMat revolver. I was shocked to find out that all the weapons, about 15, were sold as a lot for under $800.00 total because the previously mentioned "stupid relative" called some ad in the paper and got ripped off, believing the buyer and self proclaimed "expert" was giving them a fair price.
So, you can see my concern that she gets a professional opinion on the coins she has.
If there is one thing I will not stand for is seeing someone being taken advantage of.

Thanks for the help.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Get a Red Book, post some pics, and we can go from there. I will be glad to help out in any way I can.
If you can either get some pics or a list of what you have, I would be more than happy to help you figure out some pricing. I have just about every price guide from the last 3 years lol.

OP
OP
littlebill31

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Thanks all. I just purchased the 2012 "Red Book". Lots of good stuff in there!!! As soon as she pulls the tote, yes tote, from it's storage place I'll get some photos. I'm excited and really want to make sure these coins get preserved and not destroyed.

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes I am curious to see the coins as well. I only send key dates off because it is so expensive. Post some pics before you do.

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
curious to see them too :icon_thumright:
i have a relative who's father was a coin hoarder, but died several years ago. he hid them everywhere in the house, and the family is still finding them. once, a burlap sack full of coins fell through the ceiling because he had hid a bunch under the floorboards :laughing7:

i wish that i could get a look at them, but the wife of the man is also a hoarder and doesnt want to get rid of any of it, and its a fairly rich family so they dont care for selling them... it makes me sad that so much history is being wasted there, its frustrating

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread