Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks!
Having to sell more stuff and figured I would ask here before selling.
I have about 6 oz of silver coins (50%) from New Zealand. They are from the 30's and 40's, from 3 pence up to the large florin coins. All are in really good to fine condition, and a couple look mint to me.
Question is, would I be a fool to sell for scrap? Or maybe sell as one lot, or sell individually? I have to have another surgery, and the wife still cannot find work, so we are really strapped for cash...
We actually applied for food stamps, and although we have sold about everything (including my wife's car), they said we make too much??? I get $1625 a month, and just our insurance premium is $1300.... Do the math. Sorry for the venting, but I guess we speak the wrong language....

Anyway, any opinions on what to do with the coins would be greatly appreciated!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Re: Sell for melt or try to sell for numismatic value?

Sorry to hear of your cash-strapped status.

If it were me I'd try to sell them as a lot, with as many pics as Ebay would let me. Also, may have more value in NZ than here, so be sure to allow for NZ/Australian bidders.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I'm not sure about the silver content but, check that and see if melt would be worth more than face value. if you try to sell them as collectables you could be waiting for a while to find the best price. good luck in whatever you do

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I checked all the coins, and although I have a slew that are copper or bronze, etc., the ones I am talking about all are 50% silver according to the web... Approx 6 oz total.. So if I send them in for scrap, I will get 90% of 3 oz of pure silver... I think the eBay lot is a good idea, even with fee's, should get better than melt.. Sure would hate to see these old, and some darn fine ones, get melted down..
Thanks guys!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

before you go ebay, I'd check with some local buyers to see what they would offer. the money is cash, no waiting, and best of all no fees

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

By local, you talking coin shops, or the people who buy scrap?
I know we don't have a coin shop, not sure about Sebring.... Thanks for the help bud!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

could try a pawn shop too or a jewelery store

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011

Try selling them on craigslist, no fees and no waiting for payment. Ill look in my books right now and see if I can find a value for you. If you could throw up some pics, I might be able to help.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Will get som pics up with dates and type of coin... Thank you so much!

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Post them for sale here in the classified section. I've had good experiences with the members here and everything that I have offered for sale here has sold.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Surfer said:
Will get som pics up with dates and type of coin... Thank you so much!
Will be waiting for those dates and types. We'll figure out what you got, make sure you don't mess up by selling for scrap. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sell for melt or try to sell for numismatic value? *PICS ADDED*

Well, not feeling the best today but took a few pictures and will also post the coin/date... A couple of them are British coins I believe, since they dont have NZ on them. A couple are also most likely Australia, since they do not have NZ on them, but have Kangaroo and Emu on them..
Also in the mix is a canadian Half from 1945, and a british 3d (whatever that is) from 1900...
Dates/Coin

NZ Florin- 1943
NZ Half Crown(s)- 1943, 1935
Australian(?) Florin- 2 shilling 1926
NZ Shilling(s)- both 1933
NZ Sixpence- 1943 (4)
" " - 1942 (2)
" " - 1939
" " - 1937 (3)
" " - 1936 (3)
" " - 1934 (7)
" " - 1933 (5)
NZ 3d - 1943
" " - 1940
" " - 1937
" " - 1933 (2)
Victoria (British?) 3d- 1900

Pic's again are not that good, coins are dirty but of course, not going to clean them. But it looks like it is just gunk, most coins are in very good condition and many (if not most) are in near mint condition as far as wear goes. Very crisp lines, etc...
Also posting the Coppers that I also have, but didnt mention as I figured most people only want silver.. I can add specifics on them if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• NZ coins 1.jpg
    NZ coins 1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 645
  • NZ coins 2.jpg
    NZ coins 2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 626
  • NZ coins 3.jpg
    NZ coins 3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 634
  • NZ coins 4.jpg
    NZ coins 4.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 626
  • NZ coins 5.jpg
    NZ coins 5.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 612
  • NZ coins 6.jpg
    NZ coins 6.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 630
  • NZ coppers 1.jpg
    NZ coppers 1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 637

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011

I want to start off by saying, that you should wait for a second opinion, as my catalogue is almost 2 years old and prices may be up significantly. It doesn't appear that you will get much of a premium over spot, unless you find someone that collect NZ coins. I would try to sell them yourself on cl or ebay until you really need the cash. Even a day or two up for sale might do the trick. Your coins, for the most part, seem to be in good condition, so if you find that guy, you might do ok. I wish you the best of luck, god bless.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the help and best wishes... Will probably try eBay as you suggest... Even if I only get melt, it will help..
I will possibly post them on this board in classifieds for a few days first and see if anyone is interested.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Surfer said:
Thanks for the help and best wishes... Will probably try eBay as you suggest... Even if I only get melt, it will help..
I will possibly post them on this board in classifieds for a few days first and see if anyone is interested.

Post them in the Classifieds as a lot for silver melt value as melt value is more the numismatic value right now. You will make more money here in the classifieds rather on ebay as they will charge you around 12% and that's not including shipping, also you may not get full value seeing they are foreign coins. Charlie

P.S. The 3d is three pence (3 pennies) and that is the small silver one. I have two rolls of these but there the British ones.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had posted wrong info on these coins.... I got the silver content wrong. The "poster" on a NZ website where I got the info had not specified when stating how much silver was in a "40's coin" that until 1947, NZ coins were 92.5% silver, and starting in 1947 the silver content dropped to 50%...
So all these old NZ coins I have are 92.5% silver... Big difference..
They are now posted in the classifieds for sale..

shenglu

Oct 7, 2011
Check if the melt will be worth more than face value. If you try to sell as a collection, you can wait a while to find the best price. Whatever you do, good luck
Check if the melt will be worth more than face value. If you try to sell as a collection, you can wait a while to find the best price. Whatever you do, good luck

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck SS! It's a shame that anyone should have to sell their posessions to survive.
It seems that those who are to sorry to work can get a Gov'ment check for sitting on their lazy butts and those who've contributed to the system their whole lives are penalized for it.
God Bless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread