Help IDing this coin? found in Spain...

Fatbat

Greenie
Jan 20, 2006
Costa del Sol, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I found this yesterday on the Costa del Sol in Spain, near Gibraltar, while digging around a popular tourist area with beach bars and sun loungers. Normally I just find Euro coins, old Pesetas and junk jewelry but this is a bit strange.

It's 30mm in diameter. It appears to have XII (or IIX) and VIL (or VLL) stamped on one side and another unidentifiable mark on the other side (possibly a date?). Otherwise it's devoid of all other visible marks. The XII is stamped so hard it's made a dent in the coin (if it is in fact a coin).

Any ideas?

coin-front.jpg

coin-back-1.jpg

coin-back-2.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Doramas

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2010
Canary Islands
Hello. It´s a VIII maravedís of Felipe III or IV, the mint is Ingenio de Segovia. It has 2 countermarks:

· XII maravedís of 1636, Toledo mint.
· VIII maravedís of 1655.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doramas said:
Hello. It´s a VIII maravedís of Felipe III or IV, the mint is Ingenio de Segovia. It has 2 countermarks:

· XII maravedís of 1636, Toledo mint.
· VIII maravedís of 1655.
Hello Doramas :hello: welcome to Treasure Net :icon_thumleft: that's a nice avarter you have, did you find the coin :icon_thumleft:

SS

Doramas

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2010
Canary Islands
Silver Searcher said:
Hello Doramas :hello: welcome to Treasure Net :icon_thumleft: that's a nice avarter you have, did you find the coin :icon_thumleft:

SS

Thanks for the welcome. I bought the coin of my avatar. I don´t use detectors because I live in a place where there is nothing to find.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doramas said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

Thanks for the welcome. I bought the coin of my avatar. I don´t use detectors because I live in a place where there is nothing to find.

SS
:hello:

There must be modern Jewelry to find on the beaches :dontknow:

SS

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Doramas,
No, can't say that I've ever been there, but I've seen many beautiful pics of the islands and the beaches; especially (on your island) the beaches at Las Palmas and the Playa de Las Canteras. You have miles of beaches that are in front of many tourist hotels; very attractive places for metal detecting-- as "SS" suggested above.
Don....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread