What coins will increase with numismatic value in future

Aug 24, 2011
Sorry If this is the wrong section but I just needed some input.

What coins (may not have to be silver gold) will increase not just by base metal value but by collector value?

In 20-30 years will the 2009 D&P nickel be worth a huge premium?

Will a 40% silver proof Ike dollar be worth 3-4x times its silver value?

Will a 1954 S MS65 Quarter be worth a lot more in terms of condition then it does now?

Will circulated nickels with low mintage's be sought out for?

Will the 1970D half dollar be considered "rare"?

what do you guys think?

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't buy ANY of those coins. To put it boldly if I may... I honestly think those coins are crap and a waste of money (unless you are a pure collector and aren't interested in coins going up in value). Historically, the coins that have gone up the most are coins that ALREADY ARE & always have been rare... buy a Red Book price guide and read through it. All the key date coins are obvious... 1877 Indian, 1909 S VDB Lincoln, 1955 Dbl Die Lincoln, 1918/7 D Buffalo nickel, 1916 D Mercury Dime, 1901 S Barber Quarter, 1921 P/D/S Halves, 1893 S Morgan $, etc... These are the coins that have historically done the best. Of course, there is no guarantee for anything. A lot of it is timing. I bought a lot of those key dates a few years back, right before they took a big jump in price. Over the last year or two, many of them have come down a bit in price... Maybe a good time to buy? You have to keep them for a while to have a good chance of making money on them since prices fluctuate over time, but trend upward over the long run - kinda like the stock market USED TO BE :( Generic silver or gold coins/bullion coins might be a good option... they have done well the last few years. Of course you never know what could happen w/precious metals... GOOD LUCK.

HH

Baddbluff

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Few people really know what coins will be rare later on, and the coins you mentioned I don't think will be worth it. There are a /lot/ of silver Ikes out there, several million in fact. The 1970 D half dollar already isn't worth much more than melt except at the absolute highest grades, and its been 40 some years since it was minted. Circulated nickels with low mintages will only be worth it for the key-date coins, for example the 1950-D. No collector really wants circulated coins if they can avoid it. No, I don't think mint-state Washington Quarters will be worth it unless you have a key date like the 1932-S.

The coins that are worth it in the long run are the coins that have already increased in value, 1916-D Mercury dime, 1909 S VDB cent, 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter, etc. US gold also has historically been fairly stable to rising and has lower premiums at the moment.

You might also want to look into the patterns market, there are a lot of old US and world patterns that I personally think are undervalued compared to the low mintages. Of course, be prepared to spend a few thousand for a decent example of them.

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
RussianWithSilver said:
What coins (may not have to be silver gold) will increase not just by base metal value but by collector value?

No one knows the answer to this question. I stay away from too much exchanging of paper money for gold or silver. Even crappy-condition, high mintage gold or silver coins are better than paper money IMHO.

Every time I want to sell some gold or silver, I am reminded of the times I took my boys to Disney World. Inside DW, you used to be able to exchange your money for Mickey Mouse bucks. The Mickey Mouse money could only be spent inside DW. I feel that paper money is now much like a Mickey Mouse buck. I smile when I hear someone get real excited about selling 1oz of gold for $1500 (and I think: Mickey Mouse bucks). However, if you are really in need of spendable cash, you gotta do what you gotta do to survive.

Other than that, get your hands on all the gold and silver coins you can get!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread