Die Errors? 2 Wheat pennies I found in rolls.

BayAreaDigger

Sep 7, 2011
Any ideas on these guys. The 1909 looks like it has extra copper on it on both the obverse and reverse, possibly from a broken die. The second one has a line that is protruding from Abe's forehead. I took the best Macro pictures I could with my point and shoot. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :hello:

Attachments

• IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 415

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Hi Digger, The pictures are good but I'm sorry to say that they both look like post mint damage to me. The blobs on the 1st coin look like someone dropped metal solder on it, and are not characteristic nor the result of a damaged die. The 2nd coin looks like the line is a result of the metal being gouged, moved over to the right, and pushed up.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's corrosion on the 1909 and the other is a heavy contact mark.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I think Rooter, usandthem, and CoinHELP! all said the same thing using different words.

First coin has been altered by having additional metal melted onto it. Likely after the coin was struck.

Second coin was likely found with a metal detectorist using a screwdriver. The blade of the screwdriver struck, a glancing blow left-to-right, resulting in the ridge of copper scraped off the surface of poor Abe. Also likely done after the coin was struck.

I think these comments constitute this coin damage being identified.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread