Help with Seated Liberty Dollars -- Thoughts?

synapse

Oct 3, 2006
New England

Attachments

• seated_obv.jpg
    seated_obv.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 304
  • seated_rev.jpg
    seated_rev.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 313

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I think both coins are genuine for a couple reasons......The 1860-O has a nice die break running between the A and M down to the eagle's left wing on the reverse and the 1845 has a re-cut "4" in the date.

Both of these "issues" would seem hard to dupicate on a counterfeit.

Also, the 1845 has definitely been cleaned but not sure if the 1860 has been cleaned, doesn't look too bad. :icon_thumleft:

Hope this helps!

HH all!

Greg

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
putting one next to the other, i find it very hard to believe they're both original
if i had to guess, without having the coin in my hand, the 60' is original and the other is a counterfeit. again, i would have to see the coin in hand to know for sure, but look how different the head is, on both coins:
Untitled.jpg

OP
OP
synapse

synapse

Oct 3, 2006
New England
yonico said:
putting one next to the other, i find it very hard to believe they're both original
if i had to guess, without having the coin in my hand, the 60' is original and the other is a counterfeit. again, i would have to see the coin in hand to know for sure, but look how different the head is, on both coins:

Thanks for the input.
That was my concern too, but all of the facial features match up exactly when you overlay the images, and the "zombie" look that liberty get when she is worn down seems to be the appropriate wear pattern based on all the examples i can find online. I'm thinking of buying a collection of coins and these are just two of them that are included in the lot - and I don't have any experience with the seated liberties, they are just kind of a bonus that comes with everything else.
Most of what I'm buying is going to be sent off to be slabbed - maybe the 1845 will come back as not authentic, but it's not a deal breaker for the package i'm looking at.

OP
OP
synapse

synapse

Oct 3, 2006
New England
1235CE said:
The 1845 is genuine all day long (and most of tomorrow.) ;D :icon_thumleft:

Good luck obtaining the collection and future slabbing. :icon_thumright:

HH all!

Greg

Thanks, that's exactly what i wanted to hear!
Just out of curiosity, what would you consider a fair price for buying these?

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Red book says in VF-20, The 60-O is worth $325. In XF it jumps to $475. The coin does have some wear but it is even. Having it sent off to be graded costs money as well. I'd say $300 is a fair price if it is real. Feebay may bring more than that but you have to take the fee's into account.

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1235CE said:
The 1845 is genuine all day long (and most of tomorrow.) ;D :icon_thumleft:

Good luck obtaining the collection and future slabbing. :icon_thumright:

HH all!

Greg

besides the authenticity problem, if you're thinking about slabbing them, you should look into other problems the coin might have.

again, very hard to tell from pics, but the 45' looks cleaned to me. it's hard to believe this color will be found on a coin in this grade. looks like someone cleaned it

p.s did you check if any of these stick to a magnet? since no u.s coins (besides the 1943 steel penny) stick to a magnet, that is sometimes the easiest way to catch a counterfeit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread