Question on 1924 D Wheat - Error?

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this might be the place to post and ask about this wheat I found on Monday.

It's a 1924 D and I noticed that the back and front do not align correctly - resulting in a slight tilt, about 15 degrees maybe. Haven't cleaned it up so the front still has the dirt and crust on it still - my apologies.

Just wanted to know if this was an error or not? I haven't come across an error once since starting this hobby last year and am still pretty knew to the idea of an error coin so I have a lot to learn.

I'll quit my yapping and post the coin pics and wait for a reply. Thanks!

Attachments

• wheat 1924 D side one.jpg
    wheat 1924 D side one.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 249
  • wheat 1924 D side two.jpg
    wheat 1924 D side two.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 244
  • wheat 1924 D side one.jpg
    wheat 1924 D side one.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 260
  • wheat 1924 D side two.jpg
    wheat 1924 D side two.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 239

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Rooter said:
Hi, It is technically an error but, not enough rotation to command any extra value. Good eye and keep looking! :icon_thumright:

Yup, definitely an error.........and on top of a semi-key date Wheat I would imagine it would command a premium, how much premium I don't know but great find!

HH all!

Greg

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Thats in really good shape as well! i would say its easily a $50 coin on its own, probably doubles the value with that error. GREAT FIND

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Ha, I didn't really even pay attention to the date in the title and answered specifically about the rotation error. As the OP stated it looks dug and needs to be conserved. The reverse detail looks much better than the obverse. As stated I personally don't think the approx 15 degree rotation adds any value but it might to someone (There is one on EBay right now for $385.00 or make offer). In it's present state I agree it's a $40-$50.00 coin. If you could get some of the crud off the obverse the value would definitely increase. It's a good find and I would like to see some pictures after cleaning.

OP
OP
black651

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the replies. As I said - I haven't touched this since digging it up on Monday. I'll have to do a bit of research on the proper way of cleaning the dirt off of this without damaging it in any way. I know I read a few articles on this forum before but will have to refresh my memory again.

The spot I dug this coin produced many others from this same decade and the one preceding it.

Thanks again for the information and sharing your knowledge with me! Much appreciated! :icon_thumright:

(I'll post the cleaned photos when done as requested)

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The US Mint has an allowance of 10% die rotation and this one exceeds that allowance and should rbing a premium,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread