Is this an Error?!

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Got this in a roll of pennies, what do you guys think? error? odd die?

DSCN1115.jpg

DSCN1122.jpg

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Curious coin. Looks like there is very minor doubling in 195, but not in the 7. Also appears that the 7 may have been a clogged die strike. Under the close-up you provided, it almost looks like someone has tried to alter the 7, as much of the coin area appears raised, and only a portion of the 7 is missing: as if someone has tried to restamp it..

No idea now valuable it is, but certainly got something there. I'm not sure there is a premium associated with this coin.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It took a hit" isn't the answer and is used too much on this forum. This coin was struck with and over-used and over-polished die and it resulted in most of the digit being removed.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinHELP! said:
"It took a hit" isn't the answer and is used too much on this forum. This coin was struck with and over-used and over-polished die and it resulted in most of the digit being removed.
"It took it a hit" is a viable answer. There is no evidence this was an overpolished die. I also don't believe a mint employee would polish it to the point of removing a digit. Polishing usually takes place to remove a clash. There shouldn't be any clash in that area of the coin.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought to fast with my statement, I didn't mean it to sound so harsh. My intention was if the coin's nature can't be determined then it's not always, it took a hit. I answer these questions all the time and always offer other alternate reasons for a coin's condition. I felt that a relevant link should be provided of a person isn't sure about a coin.

Anyway, there's many instances when a mint employee over-polished a die causing missing elements. In example, 1922 No D, 3 Leg Buffalo, just to name two, and these were not polished because of die clashes either. The dies were over-used and abraided but their life was extended by being polished and messed with by mint employees.

I often find it possible that some coins have more than one "thing" going on and this coin could be one of those cases. It could have been hit by a tool during discovery, but if you compare it to a normal 1957-D, then you can see that the five is 5 and 9 are also missing a little of their design (I am refering to the tails of the 9 and 5).

So my first thought of a polished die. It's obvious to me that the coin was struck with a word die at the least. Here's a link to images of mint errors for reference http://coinauctionshelp.com/page14.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread