Buffalo Nickel - cant read the date

Kimmie

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2011
Buffalo Nickel - can't read the date

My 12 year old dug a buffalo nickel last year on one of our treasure hunt days, which she just came across in her drawer last night. (We're total amateurs but love history and mysteries. Hubby has a cheap MD but I'm getting him a new one for Christmas - don't tell!) Anyway, the nickel has so much build up on it, especially the indian head side, that we can't even make out the date. I can tell that the buffalo has four legs.

I've been researching about cleaning coins, and not to if they're rare. But if I can't see the date, how do I know if it's rare? Is there a minimum I can do, perhaps just to the date area? What would you all recommend? We'd never sell it anyway, unless it was worth enough to pay for her college tuition...

Sorry, I don't have access to a camera today so I can't post a photo.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Buffalo Nickel - can't read the date

The first thing you should look at concerning No date, Buffalo Nickels is the reverse (Side with buffalo). Do you see a mint mark at the bottom and next to the rim? It should be an S or D, if it has one. Also, is the Buffalo standing on a long, flat area, or is it standing on a more rounded "mound"?

Here's some images to help clarify http://coinauctionshelp.com/Buffalo Nickel Page.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread