1806 penny??

musky44

Jan 29, 2010
west viginia
i was out hunting arrowheads a few days ago and i found a coin that i couldnt really make out a date on. all i could see is one cent on the one side of it. after i got it home and looked at it a little closer i could make out a date a little better. im almost positive it says 1806, maybe 1896. i need to clean it up. i was reading a few other post and someone mentioned accetone. it was found along the river bank, so im not sure if its even salvagable. is that even a word? was hoping for some suggestions. if i could clean it up, i would share some pictures of it. is a 1806 penny worth anything?? i know nothing when it comes to coins. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Musky44 states "I was reading a few other post and someone mentioned acetone." That might have been me, musky.

Acetone affects only organic material on a coin. It has no affect on patina, pitting, corrosion, or overall condition. It is more likely to reveal imperfections in a coin, but can dramatically increase the details of a coin. So, it is something of a 2-way sword. You seem to be asking for help in distinguishing an 1806 from an 1896 penny. That's real easy. Check the diameter of the coin. If it matches a penny from your pocket, it's probably 1896. If it is closer to a half dollar in diameter (actually 29mm, which is between a quarter and a half dollar in diameter), it may be an 1806.

Either way, a photo or 2 would be appreciated.

OP
OP
musky44

musky44

Jan 29, 2010
west viginia
looks just like the pic that u posted buffalo, only in alot worse condition. no doubt 1896. thanks for the help guys. i can see why u all get hooked. very cool hobby. if u stumble on to some flint maybe i can return the favor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread