Found this in my house today. What is it?

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all,

Found this in a box in my house today while going through stuff from the basement to get rid of. No clue what it is. Appears old though if the date on it is any indication. Anyone able to identify it and if so, does it have any value? Sorry the images arn't clearer. I didn't want to take it out of the holder it is in and the scanner didn't seem to like that. It's about the size of a roosevelt dime if that helps.

Attachments

• 1790F.jpeg
    1790F.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 684
  • 1790B.jpeg
    1790B.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 691
OP
OP
Kamyu

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Some is difficult to read, but I'll try to put what I can read on here from left to right. I'll put 8's where I can't quite make out the letter.

888DINAN . IV . SICIL . 8EX

Almost looks like FERDINAN, but I am not entirely confident in that. The letters are dark and slightly worn and hard to read.

There is also a P below the bust.

Back shows what looks like I think might be grapes with a C . to the left, and a 4 to the right. 1790 below.
On the front, there is some ripple along some of the front on the outside diameter.

Hope this helps identify it.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Kamyu said:
Hey all,

Found this in a box in my house today while going through stuff from the basement to get rid of. No clue what it is. Appears old though if the date on it is any indication. Anyone able to identify it and if so, does it have any value? Sorry the images arn't clearer. I didn't want to take it out of the holder it is in and the scanner didn't seem to like that. It's about the size of a roosevelt dime if that helps.
can you get more light on it so we can actually see the coin?

nevermind found it with very lil I had to work with

4 Cavalli (AD 1790)
obv: FERDINAN IV SICIL REX, head of the king right; below, P
rev: bunch of grapes; C • 4 • at sied (sign of value); 1790 (date), below
AE, 1.8 g; 18 mm
Ref. MIR, 406/3 var; Gigante, 165a; Montenegro, 313

Note: variant for obverse legend, SICIL instead of SICI
P = sign of the engraver Domenico Perger
Edge: plait in relief

OP
OP
Kamyu

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That appears to be it. Sadly what other info I seem to find indicates it's not worth much. Oh well. :P

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be great to have in a collection just because of its age IMHO. Congratulations.

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Still really cool! I love 1700's coins, especially ones not worth much. Just means I can collect more of them! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread