what is the "copy" stamped into a coin for ?

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: what is the "copy" stamped into a coin for ?

yes they are. :(

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009

it is like getting a check that says void :'(

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

its a copy made to look like the original size, appearance, etc. but not intended to be fraudulent, hence the copy on it.

I started freaking out one night I got a seated dime and then I saw the "copy" LOL....so sad! red book had it at like 500....i was thinking well maybe I'd get 3 for it :-(

Silver Bear

Sep 14, 2011

They are 100% real copies. Test drive them with a magnet.

Best Regards & HH...SB

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Be thankfull that is a counterfeit actually stamped COPY. Many of them aren't. That's one reason I tend to shy away from buying old silver dollars. I can just imagine sitting on a collection of counterfeits that I unknowingly "got a good deal on".

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

should've at least hassled him down to $5, a fairer price. :dontknow:

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011

Like someone already kind of mentioned, they will sometimes be made of the same metal content as the originals, but just stamped "copy" to clearify that they were made way after the year that the coin has minted on it. I am guessing they are not 90% silver, but definately be aware of that being a possibility.

Also, as someone else mentioned, just be glad they actually said "copy" on them...... Most good fakes made today do not have any such markings.

And if it makes you feel any better, I would have bought those for $10 bucks, if nothing else, just based on the fact that there is a tiny percent chance they could be coin silver (90%). Even if they are not, you could sell those online, being upfront about what they are, and get more than your 10 investment back. IMO.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

'Coins' marked COPY are called 'imitation numismatic items', not counterfeits, which implies the seller is attempting to get a price near the original coin's price for a coin that is not original. The word COPY is one of the requirements of the Hobby Protection Act (http://www.collectors.org/Library/Hobby_Protection_Act.asp) to safeguard (to some extent) the sale of real coins from 'imitation numismatic items'.
Don.....

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

It's a government conspiracy, man....... meant to hold the people down, man.... :laughing7:

Seriously, they are reproductions of original coinage. Pretty much worthless.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It would help to know what coin type and denomination.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I found (Coinstar reject bin) a plastic "nickel" with "copy" in raised letters on both sides. Seemed a bit redundant to me. But I guess the powers to be really think someone is so thick as to believe a plastic nickel might be real, spendable money.

bowhunter543

Oct 15, 2011
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mzjavert said:
I found (Coinstar reject bin) a plastic "nickel" with "copy" in raised letters on both sides. Seemed a bit redundant to me. But I guess the powers to be really think someone is so thick as to believe a plastic nickel might be real, spendable money.

Well, someone did try to put through the coin counter.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bowhunter543 said:
Mzjavert said:

Well, someone did try to put through the coin counter.

Touche. Though I attributed that one to the family's five year old.

This weekend I did find an undersized "COPY" 1943 penny in the Coinstar. It is roughly the size of an Canadian dime. The back was pretty nice but the obverse was almost cartoonish. As there were also two foreign coins in the reject bin, I honestly don't believe that copy was put in the penny jar by the family five year old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread